NEW YORK, March 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
This report presents the detailed major market metrics of the current traditional UV lamp business, describing the targeted applications, the key players, the volumes and related market size of each segment.
Thanks to compactness, lower cost of ownership and environmentally friendly composition, UV LEDs have started and will continue to replace traditional mercury lamps in current applications (Fig. 1), and will also open many new applications, especially portable ones.
For these reasons, UV LEDs business is expected to grow from $25M to more than $100M in 2016 at a growth rate of almost + 30%.
In 2010, LEDs continue to be sold mostly in the UVA/B wavelengths (especially in upper wavelengths, between 365 to 400 nm). More than 90% of the UV LED market (outside of R&D) was covered by UV curing, counterfeit detection, medical and instrumentation applications requiring UV A/B sources. UVC LEDs are mainly sold today for R&D and scientific instrumentation purpose.
UVA (400–315nm light wavelength) business is currently the main UV LED market and will remain so for at least the next 5 years (Fig. 1):
• about 90% of the market in 2010
• about 80% of the market in 2016
UVA LEDS STILL DOMINATE THANKS TO UV CURING BUSINESS BOOM
Key applications for UVA are UV curing, document/banknote verification, photocatalyst air purifier. Among those, the most dynamic and important UVA lamp market is clearly the UV curing business where UV LED can definitely compete with traditional mercury lamps:
• Market size is big ($120M and with a growth of about +10% due to the advantage of UV curing technology over traditional technology (speed, green coating).
• Many new players have emerged over the past 5 years all along the value chain:
- Traditional mercury lamps suppliers: Heraeus Noble light has launched a UV LED product line in 2010.
- Pure UVLED curing system players: Phoseon is leading the UV curing market
- Traditional UV curing systems market leaders have also adopted UV LEDs: IST Metz, Hoenle, Nordson Baldwin…
• The power output available has doubled from 2009 to 2011 to reach 16 W/cm2, and the emission source width is now up to 2 m, what is comparable to mercury lamp performance.
This booming market attracts well known visible spectrum LED manufacturers from Taiwan and China who see UV LEDs has added value complementary products: Semiled has greatly increased its sales, as have Tekcore or Huga. This will help to reduce significantly the cost of the products.
Water and air purification are the potential high volume applications for UVC LEDs. We were assuming that these could start in 2010 but finally, no new commercial UVC LEDs have been released the past two years. However, numerous research results have been published during this period that show impressive improvement of the optical power output: up to x30 compared to 2008 (see Fig 2). Hence, we expect that the UVC LED will arrive in 2014 on those key applications after having solved the efficiency, lifetime and cost challenges.
AlN is a key enabling substrate for UVC LEDs. First results of UVC LED AlN based have been released in 2010 and show that AlN will specially improve the lifetime of the devices. This substrate dynamic is confirmed by the arrival of new players in USA and Europe.
This report presents the detailed major market metrics of the current traditional UV lamp business, describing the targeted applications, the key players, the volumes and related market size of each segment. It gives the possible total accessible market for UV LED, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of this technology over the current established products. It describes the recent progress in AlN single-crystal substrates as well as the UV LED performance roadmap.
Acerde, AIST, Agilent, Air Oasis, Airwise, Alpha Cure, Alencorp, Aller Air, Allux Medical, American Air & water, AMS systems, Aurora UV, Asahi Kasei, Atlantic UV, Avantes, Baldwin, Baxter, Bellcon, Bioteck, Carrier, Calutech, Comtech Research, Clearstone, CoolLED, CREE, Crystal IS, CrystAl N, Culligan, Daikin, Dowa, Eco RX, Electrolite, Emperor aquatic, Espring, Epistar, Eurika Forbes, Fairfield Crystal Technology, Fox Group, Fujitsu, Furukawa, Fusion, GE lighting, Giesecke & Devrient, Goodrich, Hamamatsu, Hangzhou Bright Group, Heraeus Noble light, HexaTech, Hoenle, Horiba Jobin Yvon, Huga Optotech, Hydrophoton, International Waterguard, Inx, IST Metz, Jimco, JK group, Kyma, LG group, Light Source, Luminus, Lumen Dynamics, Marubeni, Meridian design, Mitsubishi Chemical, Molecular Devices, Nanobreeze, National Biological, N-Crystals, Newport, New Energy Wave, NGK Insulator, Nikkiso, Nichia, Nitek, Nitride Semiconductors, Nitride Solutions, Nordson, NTT, Ocean optics, Omron, Opthera, OSIM, Osram, Panasonic, Perkin Elmer, Philips lighting, Phoseon, Pura UV, Purecomes technology Safescan, Sanyo, Sanan Optoelectronic, Sankyo Denki, Schimadzu, SemiLEDs, Sensor Electronic Technology, Seoul Optodevice, Seoul Semiconductor, Sharp, Shenzhen Double Power Electronics, Showa Denko, Siemens Water, Solarc system, Stellar Net, Steril Aire, Sumitomo Electric Industry (SEI), Sumitomo Metal Industries, Summit UV, Sun LLC, Sunjet, Sunpure, Tana Water, TDI / Oxford Instruments, Tecan, Tekcore, Thermo Fischer, Toshiba, Toyoda Gosei, Trojan UV, Ushio, UV Biotek, UV Craftory, UV integration technology, UV process supply, UV pure hallett, UV technik, Varian, Viqua, Waterlogic International, Wedeco ITT.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DEFINITIONS, LIMITATIONS AND BOUNDARIES
WHAT WE SAW AND WE MISSED: COMPARISON WITH 2009 PREVIOUS REPORT
NOTEWORTHY NEWS 2010 & 2009
UV LED AND AlN MATERIAL COMPANIES RECENT KNOWN FUNDING
TRADITIONAL UV LAMP BUSINESS P17
• UV wavelengths classification
• Main applications for UV lamps as a function of the wavelength
• Traditional UV lamps 2010 market segmentation and size
• Traditional UV lamps performance
• UV lamp power: some definitions from wall-plug power to sample irradiation
• Traditional UV Lamps: technical positioning output power as function of wavelength
• UV power requirement per application and current UV LED best results
• Target price for UV lamps and current LED commercial products in $/W
• UV LED and UV lamp performance comparison table
• UV lamps applications: characteristics, market price, and accessibility for UV LED
• 2010 UV lamp market volume and size split by application
• Market analysis of traditional low power mercury lamps manufacturers
• Market analysis of traditional High power mercury lamps manufacturers
UV LED MARKET ANALYSIS P33
• LED market penetration: best conditions regarding today's specifications
• UV Lamp to UV LED substitution: a different design approach
• UV Lamp vs. UV LED: a different strategy and business model needed
UVA APPLICATIONS P39
• UVA main applications and niche markets
• UVA applications as a function of the optical power output and wavelength
• UV Curing
- Many new UV LED curing systems launching
- Optical power increase: Latest performances from some key players
- Heat management and light emission. How are they optimized by the industry?
- UV curing supply chain
- UV LED Curing: Main market parameters
• Counterfeit banknote detection
• Photocatalytic air purifiers
• Medical phototherapy
• White light LED
• Tanning beds
UVB/UVC APPLICATIONS P60
• UVB/UVC main applications and niche markets
• UVB/UVC applications as a function of the optical power output and wavelength
• UV LEDs purification applications patents research
- Patents trends (over 302 patents): a booming interest !
- # of patents per country of origin. Japan and China dominate
- Dynamics per country over the time: Acceleration in Korea and China
- # of patents per assignee. Asia dominates…
- Dynamics per assignee over the time
- UV LED patent application analysis
• DARPA program for UVC technologies
• UVC LED main market drivers
• UVC LED main challenges
• UVC disinfection/purification applications
- UVC disinfection requirements
- Disinfection requirements: UV dose
- What is the best wavelength for UV LEDs?
- UVC water and air purification lamps 2010 world market segmentation and size for traditional low pressure lamps
- Price and power traditional UVC purification lamp segments position
- UVC water disinfection market segmentation
- Water purification segments
- Portable water purifiers
- Point of Use water purifiers (commercial and residential)
- Other low power water applications
- Point of Entry (POE) water purifiers (residential & light commercial)
- UVC air Purification
- UVC Air Disinfection: Residential purifiers
- UVC Air Disinfection: Commercial purifiers
• UV Analytical instruments (spectrophotometers)
• Estimated accessible markets, growth rate, and time to market for UV LED
• UV LED applications roadmap. Time to market
• UV LED market size in M$to 2015, split by applications, outside of lighting
• Relative market shares of UV LED applications to 2015
• UVC low power lamp 2010 market in power output (MW)
• UVC LEDs challenges to reach purification applications
• UV Analytical instruments spectrophotometers
• UV LED estimated accessible markets, growth rate, and time to market
• UV LED application roadmap time to market
• UV LED market size in M$.Split by application (excluding lighting)
• UV LED Applications: relative market shares
• Conclusion: UV LED applications
UV LED INDUSTRY OUTLOOK P104
• UV LED manufacturers: main industrial initiatives
• Key industrial UVA dies market players positioning
• Key industrial UVC dies market players positioning
• Major UV LED chip manufacturer locations production or R&D
• UVA LED Industrial supply-chain in 2010
• UVC LED Industrial supply-chain in 2010
• Zoom in China and Taiwan: Visible LEDs players start to invest in the UV LED field
• Estimation of 2010 revenues and market shares
• Some known M&A and business agreements
• Spin-offs from universities
• Conclusion: UV LED industry status and main trends
UV LED PERFORMANCE ROADMAP P118
• UV LED power: some definitions from wall-plug power to sample irradiation
• Current main Specs of UV A, B and C LEDs examples
• UV LED main players
• Wall plug efficiency (WPE) evolution with wavelength
• Optical power vs. chip-size and wavelength dependency: Some examples
• UV LED technical roadmap (l/Pout): past and present
• UVC LED Technical Roadmap (l/Pout) outlook: many new players in the starting blocks !
• Price and lifetime evolution with wavelength. Some examples
• UVC LED optical power / price outlook (for a 280 nm wavelength)
• 2010 cost breakdown model projection. From 2" AlN wafer to UV C packaged LED
• Conclusion: Output power surged but efficiency is still low
SINGLE CRYSTAL AlN AND AlN EPIWAFER INDUSTRY OUTLOOK P130
• Why using bulk AlN to make UV LEDs?
• UV emission wavelength depends on the Al content in the AlGaN alloy
• Major AlN bulk substrate manufacturer locations production or R&D
• AlN Bulk crystal main companies
• AlN Bulk crystal main R&D labs
• AlN epiwafers and templates main players
• AlN Substrates: Example of current available offers as of 2010
• Bulk AlN technical roadmap mass production availability outlook: many new players in the starting blocks !
GENERAL CONCLUSION P140
UV INDUSTRY MAIN COMPANY PROFILES P145
• UV LED manufacturers
- Nitride Semiconductors Co. Ltd (JP), Nichia (JP), UV Craftory (JP),SemiLEDs (US and TW), Luminus (US), Tekcore (TW), Dowa (JP), Sensor Electronics Technology SET (US), Seoul OptoDevice Co. (KR), Crystal IS (US), Nitek (US), Aurora UV (US)
• UV LED manufacturing companies exit: Fox group (US, Cree (US)
• AlN substrate manufacturers
- HexaTech Inc. (US), Nitride Solutions (US), CrystAl-N (Ge), Acerde (FR), Fairfield Crystal Technology (US), N-Crystals Ltd (Ru), Kyma technologies (US)
• Bulk AlN substrates by PVT: crucible is a key component
• HT-CVD: from gases to AlN epi-ready bulk wafers
• Average UV dose required to inactivate selected pathogens
• Doping of AlN Material at NTT (J)
To order this report:
Intl: +1 805-652-2626