AUSTIN, Texas, June 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com), the largest digital coupon website in the United States, released the results of a mobile commerce survey conducted jointly in April 2013 with The Omnibus Company.
The survey results, which reviewed current mobile commerce behaviors by consumers, were recently delivered during a presentation by RetailMeNot at the Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition in Chicago, IL, on June 7.
As an overview, the survey revealed that the vast majority of consumers surveyed have moved beyond making simple phone calls and sending text messages via their mobile device to having it become their personal research tool. In fact, almost 8 in 10 respondents reported using their mobile devices to do some sort of research online in the most recent month. More than half of consumers surveyed (54%) used their mobile device while buying something in the month prior to taking the survey in April 2013.
Deal-seeking behaviors have become the norm within the purchase cycle. One-third (33%) of consumers surveyed have conducted searches on a mobile device for coupons online, while over a quarter (26%) bought something in a physical store using a coupon found on a mobile device. Of those consumers who made purchases in-store using a digital coupon, 90% had done so in the last month.
Furthermore, relevant offers seemed to further incentivize consumers to buy. Over half of respondents (51%) indicated that they are more likely to enter a store and buy something if they receive a coupon on their mobile device while near that store. If the consumer received a coupon on their mobile device while already inside the store, more than 6 in 10 consumers (63%) indicated that they would be more likely to buy something.
"There's no doubt that today's consumers are more empowered than ever by smartphone technology, and retailers can recognize and enable those behaviors or lose business to competitors who understand the power of mobile marketing." says John Faith, senior vice president of external affairs for RetailMeNot, Inc.
Other stats of note from those surveyed include:
- 44% of 18- to 34-year-olds vs. 26% of respondents 35+ have searched for a coupon on the Internet with a mobile device. 39% percent of 18- to 34-year-olds (vs. 18% of older consumers) have actually bought something in a physical store with a coupon they found on a mobile device.
- More parents than non-parents report that they have searched for a coupon on the Internet with a mobile device (45% vs. 27%) and bought something in a physical store with a coupon they found on a mobile device (37% vs. 21%).
- Consumers who reported using their mobile device to search for something online in the past month:
- 94% of 18- to 34-year-olds vs. 65% of those who are 35+
- 89% of parents vs. 71% of non-parents
- Those who reported using their mobile device to buy something online in the past month:
- 61% of men vs. 48% of women
- 71% of 18- to 34-year-olds vs. 42% of those who are 35+
- 67% of parents vs. 46% of non-parents
- Consumers more likely to search for coupons on their mobile devices while in physical stores include:
- 46% of 18- to 34-year-olds vs. 30% of those who are 35+
- 46% of parents vs. 31% of non-parents
- 42% who are located in the Southern states vs. 34% in other regions
- Those more likely to buy something if they received a coupon for a store on their mobile device while nearby include:
- 63% of 18- to 34-year-olds vs. 43% of those who are 35+
- 64% of parents vs. 44% of non-parents
- 56% who are located in the Southern states vs. 49% of consumers in other regions
The Mobile Shopping Survey was conducted by The Omnibus Company between April 12 and April 17, 2013, among 1,067 U.S. residents ages 18 and over, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas are set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the entire U.S. population 18 and over. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. In this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. The margin of error for any subgroups will be slightly higher.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the most widely used digital coupon site in the United States. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of digital coupons from retailers. Digital coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by RetailMeNot, Inc., the world's leading marketplace for digital coupons.
Shopping on the go? Download the RetailMeNot Coupons app for iPhone and Android phones to access Hot Deals, browse top coupons, popular stores and categories and get thousands of online and in-store coupons to shop when you want, where you want. Make sure to "like" RetailMeNot.com and authorize the RetailMeNot app on Facebook, follow the company via Twitter @retailmenot and add us on Google+. Consumers can sign up for RetailMeNot's Online and In-Store Coupons Newsletter by visiting: http://www.retailmenot.com/signup.
About RetailMeNot, Inc.
RetailMeNot, Inc. (www.retailmenot.com/corp/) is the world's leading digital coupon marketplace. The company's websites enable consumers across the globe seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of digital coupons from retailers. RetailMeNot, Inc. experienced more than 450 million consumer visits to its sites in 2012. The RetailMeNot, Inc. portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the leading digital coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the leading digital coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; www.Actiepagina.nl, a leading digital coupon site in the Netherlands; Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Poulpeo.com, leading digital coupon and cash back sites in France; and www.Deals2Buy.com, a leading discount offer site in North America.
+1 512 777 2957 office
+1 202 330 3070 mobile
+1 808 224 3214 mobile
Allison+Partners Public Relations