CHICAGO, Aug. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- College students are making their way back to campuses across the country, and GrubHub, the nation's number one food ordering service, forecasts an increase in off-hours orders for local delivery and pickup restaurants. When it comes to daily order volume, GrubHub data reveals that nocturnal orders placed on college campuses outpace national averages by up to 70 percent, with small private colleges beating out larger state schools in percentage of late-night orders*.
To identify which colleges have the worst case of the midnight munchies, GrubHub analysts compared the percentage of orders placed between the hours of 12 a.m. and 2 a.m. on college campuses to national averages**. Findings show college students' late-night orders average 24 percent higher than standard GrubHub diners. Chicago's School of the Art Institute leads the nation with the highest percentage of nocturnal food orders, while Ohio State University, Arizona State University and Rutgers land in the bottom five.
Colleges with the Midnight Munchies
- School of the Art Institute, Chicago
- Babson College, Boston
- Morehouse College, Atlanta
- Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, R.I.
Colleges with Low Levels of Nighttime Nomming
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
- Arizona State University, Phoenix
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, Fla.
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
"Students everywhere are pulling 'all-nighters' and many restaurants near campus stay open all night to accommodate these schedules," said Susanne Dawursk, GrubHub brand marketing director. "Whether they are up late at the library or a house party, students can easily order pickup or delivery from their favorite restaurant with GrubHub's free mobile apps."
GrubHub's website and free mobile apps offer a variety of features that make it easy and affordable for college students to find the food they want anytime, anywhere:
- My GrubHub – Brain fried after a late-night study session? Let GrubHub lead you to delicious noms. Simply view the "My GrubHub" tab for favorite restaurants, past orders and saved delivery addresses.
- Coupon Filter – Latest textbook purchase leaving you cash-strapped? Save some dough by searching for local restaurant deals and specials by applying GrubHub's Coupon filter.
- Yummy Rummy – We can't guarantee that ordering with GrubHub will improve your GPA, but we can promise the opportunity to win free food! Yummy Rummy, GrubHub's infamous game of chance, gives diners the opportunity to win Free Grub after every three orders. New diners get the opportunity to play Yummy Rummy after their first order.
For more information about GrubHub and to see what restaurants are available for pickup and delivery in your area, please visit GrubHub.com.
GrubHub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering platform that shows diners local restaurants available for delivery or pick up. Available in more than 400 cities across the nation, GrubHub features more than 15,000 online ordering restaurants and, as the parent company of Allmenus, lists approximately 250,000 restaurant menus. Diners who order through GrubHub's free website or mobile apps can pay with cash, credit or PayPal™, and every order is supported by GrubHub's 24/7 customer service. Founded in 2004, GrubHub is a privately held company and is headquartered in Chicago.
*Calculation based on hourly order volume from 4/1/12-6/1/12
**College campus orders are defined as orders placed within specific radius around campus
CONTACT: Allie Mack, 773-250-0618, [email protected]