TYRONE, Ga., March 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Restaurateurs, bar owners and hoteliers wanting to capture their share of the record $604 billion* U.S. consumers are expected to spend in restaurants this year, should consider creating or enhancing the aesthetic of any available outdoor space, according to leading outdoor shade management solution manufacturer MDT-Tex (www.mdt-tex.com).
"Alfresco dining (eating while enjoying the outdoors) has long been popular in Europe and this year's rough winter weather across the U.S. will leave Americans wanting to spend more time outdoors," said Joel Linton, vice president of business development for MDT-Tex. "By planning now, the hospitality industry has the ability to capitalize on the projected consumer spending and increase revenues during the spring, summer and fall."
MDT collaborates with all members of the design team to transform outdoor areas into attractive, functional spaces, allowing customers to make full use of patios, plazas, courtyards, rooftops and other outdoor spaces. Linton and the MDT-Tex design team offer these tips for converting or enhancing outdoor spaces:
- Define a specific vision for the area and transform it into a consumer destination. Consider what atmosphere will be created. Will it be upscale, casual or something in-between?
- Determine the intended optimal use of the space (dining, a bar, special events/catering). Is this a day/night patio?
- Consider the climate and space layout -- weather conditions are a serious consideration.
- Lights and heaters can be incorporated into an umbrella plan to extend the trading months for the establishment.
- Rain gutters can provide full coverage for a patio.
- Umbrella coverage is a very important consideration to shield guests from sun exposure.
- Specify sound needs for the space. Umbrellas can be pre-wired in order to accommodate a speaker network to deliver a high quality sound throughout the space.
- What are the local planning laws for outdoor spaces? Contact the city planning department to obtain guidelines and any appropriate permits needed to develop the space.
MDT-Tex is the leading designer and manufacturer of large-scale sunshade systems and serves a variety of hospitality interests, including trendy nightclubs and rooftop oases, to posh hotels and restaurants. MDT's products, including its stunning tulip umbrella, have been showcased at Chicago's Witt Hotel "Roof" Lounge, the Encore Beach Club at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas, Hookah Lounge in Mexico City, and on the grounds at the 2010 U.S. Open Tennis Tournament in Flushing, N.Y.
For 20 years, MDT has been collaborating with architects and designers worldwide to develop unique, customized umbrellas and shade structures that harmonize perfectly with the surrounding architecture. The range of products combines aesthetics and functionality that deliver architectural harmony with sophisticated European flair. The company controls the entire production process in its own factories throughout Europe, allowing for complete control throughout the production process.
* National Restaurant Association, February 2011