WARRENDALE, Pa., Nov. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Based on an initial idea from the SAE Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) Steering Group, SAE International now offers a highly-anticipated new book that addresses both basic and advanced concepts critical for the understanding and support of the developing field of IVHM.
Integrated Vehicle Health Management: Perspectives on an Emerging Field, edited by Ian K. Jennions, is a unique and groundbreaking book collaboratively written by experts from academia, research and industry. The book's 13 chapters represent the collective voice of the most qualified authorities in the field.
The perfect introduction to the field for engineers, executives, academic instructors, and students, the book includes a single definition and taxonomy of IVHM. In addition to the basic principles of the field, the text identifies how and where IVHM should be implemented, as well as a look at the commercial value of IVHM. Additional highlights focus on algorithms and their impact on IVHM, IVHM future directions and issues, and a case study on Integrated Health and Usage Monitoring Systems, commonly known as IHUMS.
Jennions is a Professor and Director of the IVHM Centre, Cranfield University, U.K. He joined the Centre when it was founded in 2008 and has led its development and growth in research and education over the last three years. Over a 25-year span, he has worked for a number of companies in the gas turbine industry. His experience includes working for Rolls-Royce, General Electric and Alstom in various technical roles where he gained expertise in aerodynamics, heat transfer, fluid systems, mechanical design, combustion and, more recently, IVHM. A contributing member of the SAE IVHM Steering Group, he has a Mechanical Engineering degree and a Ph.D. in CFD both from Imperial College, London.
Individual chapters cover:
- The Development of Maintenance and the Role of Integrated Vehicle Health Management
- An Introduction to Integrated Vehicle Health Management – A Perspective from Literature
- The Business Value of Implementing Integrated Vehicle
- Health Management
- Health Management Systems Engineering
- Basic Principles
- Algorithms and their Impact on Integrated Vehicle Health Management
- Design Tools and Toolkits
- Structural Health Monitoring and Management
- Vehicle-Level Reasoning Systems: Integrating System-Wide Data to Estimate the Instantaneous Health State
- Integrated Vehicle Health Management Operations Rooms
- IHUMS and Real Results: A Case Study from the UK
- Future Directions and Issues
Published: October 2011
Print Binding: Hardbound
eBook Formats: pdf, epub, prc
Product Code: R-405
Price: $119.95 List, $95.96-$107.96 SAE Member
For more information, including free front and back matter, or to order Integrated Vehicle Health Management: Perspectives on an Emerging Field visit: http://books.sae.org/book-r-405. To request an electronic review copy of the book, email email@example.com . Forward published reviews to Shawn Andreassi at firstname.lastname@example.org or SAE International, 400 Commonwealth Dr., Warrendale PA, 15096-0001, to receive a print copy of the book or another equivalent SAE International book.
Other related books from SAE International include:
- The Standard Handbook for Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineers, By Mark Davies
- Aircraft Maintenance, By Bruce R. Aubin
- Fly-By-Wire, By Vernon R. Schmitt, Gavin D. Jenney, James W. Morris
SAE International is a global association of more than 128,000 engineers and related technical experts in the aerospace, automotive and commercial-vehicle industries. SAE International's core competencies are life-long learning and voluntary consensus standards development. SAE International's charitable arm is the SAE Foundation, which supports many programs, including A World In Motion® and the Collegiate Design Series.
- www.sae.org -
Contact: Shawn Andreassi of SAE International, 1-724-772-8522 or email@example.com
SOURCE SAE International