WARRENDALE, Pa., Oct. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- SAE International published the third edition of this classic title that provides readers with the basic theoretical fundamentals and analytical tools necessary to design braking systems for passenger vehicles and trucks. The goal is to help designers develop brakes that comply with safety standards, minimize consumer complaints, and perform safely and efficiently before and while electronic brake controls become active.
Electronic system controls have significantly increased the potential of braking systems. Notwithstanding the advances made in applying brakes by mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical means, vehicles are slowed and stopped by friction between pad and rotor. Only when the underlying brake system is properly engineered will automatic controls perform effectively and vehicles brake safely under all foreseeable operating conditions.
Authored by Rudolf Limpert, "Brake Design and Safety, Third Edition," is written for students, engineers, forensic experts, and brake technicians, provides readers with theoretical knowledge of braking physics, and offers numerous illustrations and equations that make the information easy to understand and apply.
This new edition includes expanded chapters on:
- Thermal analysis of automotive brakes
- Analysis of hydraulic brake systems
- Single vehicle braking dynamics
Individual chapters cover:
- Fundamentals of Braking Performance, Design, and Safety
- Design and Analysis of Friction Brakes
- Thermal Analysis of Automotive Brakes
- Analysis of Mechanical Brake Systems
- Analysis of Hydraulic Brake Systems
- Analysis of Air Brake Systems
- Single Vehicle Braking Dynamics
- Braking Dynamics of Combination Vehicles
- Automatic Brake Control
- Analysis of Brake Failure
Dr. Rudolf Limpert is retiring from a long career as consulting engineer on motor vehicle and traffic safety. He continues to publish and teach motor vehicle accident reconstruction and design of braking systems. The author of many publications and four other books related to automotive safety, Dr. Limpert received his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from the University of Michigan, his M.S. and B.E.S. from Brigham Young University, and his B.S. from the Engineering School of Wolfenbuettel.
- Published By: SAE International
- Published: October 2011
- Pages: 432
- Binding: Hardbound
- Product Code: R-398
- Price: $99.95 List, $79.96-$89.95 SAE Member
- ISBN: 978-0-7680-3438-7
Other related books from SAE International include:
- "Brake Technology Handbook," By Bert J. Breuer and Karlheinz Bill
- "Electric and Hybrid-Electric Vehicles - Braking Systems and NVH Considerations," By Ronald K. Jurgen
- "Disc Brake Squeal," By Frank Chen, Chin An Tan, and Ronald L. Quaglia
- "Advanced Brake Technology," By Bert J. Breuer and Uwe Dausend
SAE International is a global association of more than 128,000 engineers and related technical experts in the aerospace, automotive and commercial-vehicle industries. SAE International's core competencies are life-long learning and voluntary consensus standards development. SAE International's charitable arm is the SAE Foundation, which supports many programs, including A World In Motion® and the Collegiate Design Series.
- www.sae.org -
Contact: Shawn Andreassi of SAE International, 1-724-772-8522 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE SAE International