STUART, Fla., Sept. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- SAFE Food SAFE Horses Coalition (www.safefoodsafehorses.org) invites the public to the "March on DC" on September 22, 2016 to urge our lawmakers to protect our wild horses and public lands from needless destruction, and Americans from the grave health risk resulting from their unknowing consumption of toxic meat from slaughtered U.S. horses entering the U.S. and global food supply.
Highlights of the March are expert presentations by Congressman Patrick Meehan, Ginger Kathrens of The Cloud Foundation, Cameron Harsh of the Center for Food Safety, John Holland , R.T. Fitch, Freddie Hudson and others. The rally begins at the USDA Whitten building on Jefferson Avenue with speakers, followed by a short "March" to the Capitol Plaza for more presentations and speeches.
On the following day (September 23), a free double-feature will be held at the Capitol Visitors' Center, showing the award-winning documentary "From the Kill Pen", followed by the true Cinderella story of "Harry and Snowman".
The goals of the March are to:
- Demand Congress enforces the spirit and intent of the Wild and Free Roaming Horse and Burro Protection Act of 1971 and rejects the BLM WH&B Advisory Committee's recommendations to destroy America's captive wild horses being held in long and short term holding.
- Alert Americans to a congressional "Public Land Grab" plan to hand over taxpayers' public lands to the states, to be sold to private corporate interests for mining, fracking and welfare cattle grazing.
- Compel Congress to pass the Safeguard American Food Exports (SAFE) Act S.1214/HR.1942 to protect our food supply by banning the slaughter, and transport to slaughter of U.S. horses.
- Alert Americans to the health risks that the slaughter of U.S. horses creates: A study published in 2015 reported that the US food supply is contaminated with horse meat. U.S. horses do not meet Federal standards required for food animals, and may harbor FDA-banned drugs, toxins and deadly diseases. The US imports millions of pounds of "beef" from Mexico into the US annually, which has been shown to contain up to 40% horse meat
- Expose serious horse-related food safety issues involving the USDA, which is responsible for food safety, yet due to lack of funding and oversight, allows egregious violations of USDA policies . A prime example is the Slaughter Horse Transport Program which has only two people assigned to monitor safety at twelve U.S. border crossings.
Please join "We the People" in protecting our food, families, public lands, horses, and American heritage. Media contact: email@example.com
SAFE Food Safe Horses Coalition is a non-profit entity representing over 20 organizations and 1.75 million people. Its missions are to protect the food supply by banning the slaughter of American horses and protect our wild horses and public lands.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/safe-food-safe-horses-grassroots-coalition-will-march-on-dc-with-wild-horses-public-lands-and-horse-slaughter-risk-warnings-300327439.html
SOURCE SAFE Food SAFE Horses Coalition