NEW YORK, April 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the National Tattoo Convention in Orlando this week, it's the perfect time to look at how views toward tattoos and tattoo culture have evolved over the years. Norman 'Sailor Jerry' Collins is the father of old-school tattooing, and Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, created to honor the man, his legacy and his passions, recently worked with Wakefield Research to execute an independent survey to explore just that. The Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Survey was conducted among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 21+.
Back in the 1920's, when Collins came of age, tattooing was an expression that belonged to an emerging counterculture. It was a mark of not blindly following the mainstream – of choosing to live outside the lines. Following his time as a sailor, Collins made his home in WWII era Honolulu and opened his now legendary tattoo parlor on Hotel Street. At the height of WWII, thousands of men were on Shore Leave visiting Hotel Street and Collins' shop. His designs were influenced by his life and times, and many of those visiting the shop got inked to commemorate that time in their lives. Through his artistry, innovations and distinct outlook on life, Collins inspired many, including a new generation of tattoo artists, and tattoo enthusiasts.
Today, as reflected in the results of the survey, attitudes have changed. From counter culture to high culture – 82% of Americans ages 21+ believe that having a tattoo is no longer a "rebellious" act, but rather it is more of a statement of individual expression.
"Norman Collins would be proud of his legacy, and the effect his work has had on future generations," shared Josh Hayes, Senior Brand Manager – Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum. "From his protégés who kept his work alive and passed it on, to the people who choose to wear his designs permanently, Norman had a significant impact on American culture. We are proud to honor the man, and his work, and are happy to see his legacy continue to expand as affinity for tattoos and tattoo culture has continued to evolve."
Pour yourself a Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and ginger beer and enjoy responsibly while taking in the survey results below.
SAILOR JERRY SPICED RUM SURVEY Highlights:
- 40% of Americans believe a person's tattoo says more about them than their social media profile. And, 61% of those with a tattoo agree.
- 34% of Americans, including 73% with a tattoo, feel a tattoo would be a more meaningful documentation of a special time in their life than a diary.
- The growing acceptance of tattoos is changing the way Americans express themselves. Here's how those with tattoos explain why they got inked:
- I like how they look (59%)
- To remember life experiences (40%)
- To honor friends or family (35%)
IN THE WORKPLACE
- Compared to ten years ago, 72% of Americans believe it is more acceptable for someone to have visible tattoos.
- 59% of Americans, including 70% of Millennials, believe in 10 years most employers won't care about visible tattoos in the workplace.
- 51% of Millennials have a tattoo, compared to 31% of Americans overall.
- 67% of parents would be willing to take their child to get a tattoo if they wanted when they turn 18 – including 76% of Millennial parents and 90% with a tattoo.
- 32% of Americans, including 57% of Millennials, would consider celebrating National Tattoo Week this year by getting a permanent or temporary tattoo.
Methodological Notes: The survey was conducted by Wakefield Research among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 21+ between April 1st and April 7th, 2016. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. adult population ages 21+.
About William Grant & Sons
William Grant & Sons Holdings Ltd is an independent family-owned distiller headquartered in the United Kingdom and founded by William Grant in 1887. Today, the global premium spirits company is run by the fifth generation of his family and distils some of the world's leading brands of Scotch whisky, including the world's most awarded single malt Glenfiddich®, The Balvenie® range of handcrafted single malts and the world's third largest blended Scotch, Grant's®, as well as other iconic spirits brands such as Hendrick's® Gin, Sailor Jerry® Spiced Rum, Tullamore D.E.W.® Irish Whiskey, Monkey Shoulder® triple malt whisky and Drambuie®.
William Grant & Sons has been honored as "Distiller of the Year" by the prestigious International Wine & Spirit Competition and International Spirits Challenge ten times over the past 15 years.
Founded in 1964, William Grant & Sons USA is a wholly-owned subsidiary of William Grant & Sons, Ltd. and features one of the fastest growing spirits portfolios in the USA with brands including Glenfiddich, The Balvenie, Hendrick's Gin, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Tullamore D.E.W. Irish Whiskey, Drambuie, Milagro Tequila, Grant's, Hudson Whiskey, Gibson's Finest, Monkey Shoulder, Clan MacGregor, Reyka Vodka, Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur, Montelobos Mezcal, Ancho Reyes, Flor de Caña Rum, Art In The Age, The Knot and Raynal French Brandy. For more information on the company and its brands, please visit www.grantusa.com.
SOURCE Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum