Same-Sex Marriage: Planning Your Family's Future In A Marriage Equality State
A free panel discussion hosted by Sodoma Law, P.C., co-sponsored by Equality NC
Nov 17, 2014, 08:56 ET
CHARLOTTE, N.C., Nov. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
WHEN: 7:00-9:00 pm, Monday, December 1, 2014
WHERE: Byron's South End, 101 W Worthington Ave, Charlotte, NC
LIMITED SEATING – RSVP AND SUBMIT QUESTIONS* TO:
[email protected] or (704) 442-0000
FIND US ONLINE: www.sodomalaw.com/panel
MEDIA CONTACT: Ariane Doud, Warner Communications,
[email protected] or (978) 283-2674
Why get married? Through a question and answer session, the panel will assist same-sex couples to gain a better understanding of how marriage may impact their daily lives and financial future.
What does the marriage equality litigation mean for same-sex marriages in NC?
- In light of the ongoing litigation in NC and around the country, learn what you can do to protect your family now and how to plan for the unknown.
The impact of marriage equality on your existing children
- Already in a same-sex relationship and raising children? Learn how marriage equality enables stepparent adoptions and coverage by employer-sponsored benefits.
The impact of marriage equality on your future children
- Are you considering having children? Marriage equality impacts all areas of creating your family, whether by means of assisted reproductive technology, surrogacy - including assurance of your spouse's name on your child's birth certificate - or adoption.
For better or worse – Planning for the future
- Do you know how your wedding vows will impact your finances, property ownership, and inheritance rights? Understand the basics of the marital property rights, as well as how you should adjust your estate planning, health care proxy, and power of attorney to protect your family.
Marriage Equality – What does this mean for my taxes?
- Learn what implications the new same-sex marriage law has on filing your taxes and what families should know about new planning opportunities.
Moderator: Nicole H. Sodoma, Founder and Attorney, Sodoma Law, P.C.
Financial Planning: John M. Hall, Financial Advisor, Carroll Financial
Tax Planning: Travis Carswell, CPA, Elliott Davis, PLLC
Perspective from the Bench: The Honorable Christy T. Mann, District Court Judge,
Benefits of Same Sex Marriage, Divorce, Surrogacy and other Assisted Reproductive Technology Issues: Nadia A. Margherio and Edward S. Garrett, Attorneys, Sodoma Law,
Estate Planning: David T. DuFault, Attorney, Sodoma Law, P.C.
Healthcare Issues: Nancy L. Teaff, MD, Reproductive Endocrinology Associates of
Equality NC (www.equalitync.org) will also be in attendance.
*Submitting a question does not create an attorney-client, doctor-patient or fiduciary relationship; the information to be provided by this panel is intended for informational purposes only and not, in any way, considered legal, medical or financial advice.
SOURCE Sodoma Law, P.C.
Share this article