WASHINGTON, May 2, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- For the 5th time, 26 cyclists will ride approximately 400 miles in four days to honor the 20 first-grade children and six educators killed at the Sandy Hook School and all victims of gun violence. "Team 26" is dedicated to raising awareness of the public health crisis of gun violence, and to support common sense measures to reduce it.
But, this year is different. In the previous four rides, the cyclists road to Washington from Newtown, Ct. This time, Team 26 will ride from the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. to Newtown, CT. They will leave the Capitol on May 4th and ride towards and through states that are actually working to reduce gun violence.
"Until members of Congress do their jobs and pass laws to make Americans safer, instead of offering thoughts and prayers for victims, we will ride with the Congress at our backs," said Team 26 Leader Monte Frank.
The riders will arrive in Newtown on May 7th for a Welcome Home Rally.
While Team 26 will be riding away from Congress, they will be sending a message that Congress remains complicit in the gun violence that continues to occur in the United States at rates that are unacceptable. Congress must act to prevent gun violence by passing common sense measures, including requiring a background check on all gun sales and limiting magazines to 10 rounds. The dangerous efforts to pass federally mandated concealed carry must be defeated. This legislation (S. 446 & H.R. 38) would allow potentially dangerous individuals to carry loaded, concealed guns in states that otherwise would have laws to prevent them from doing so.
Team 26 will be stopping for events at city halls and universities in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut. Speakers will include federal and state lawmakers, mayors, activists, family members and survivors. Team 26 will be applauding their efforts to make our communities safer and standing with them in honoring those killed by gun violence (more than 130,000 people have been killed by gun violence since the Sandy Hook School shooting).
A large crowd is anticipated at the Welcome Home Rally at 5:30 p.m. on May 7th at Edmund Town Hall in Newtown. The event will include First Selectman E. Patricia Llodra (Host), Senator Richard Blumenthal, Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty, Team 26 leader Monte Frank, Sandy Hook families, Sandy Hook teachers – survivors, and other gun violence prevention activists.
Full Ride Schedule
Thursday, May 4 - Alexandria, VA to Baltimore - 70 miles
- Alexandria Meet and Greet and departure - 7:30 am
- SE Washington Meet and Greet
- House Triangle at the U.S. Capitol in D.C. – 10 am
- Press Conference including:
- Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty (host)
- Senator Richard Blumenthal
- Senator Chris Murphy
- Congressman John Larson
- Congressman Jim Himes
- Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro
- Congressman Joe Courtney
- Congressman Mike Thompson
- Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton
- Team 26 leader Monte Frank
- Other Senators and Representatives
- Leave Capitol at 11pm (cyclists, including members and staff, to join)
- College Park, MD – 12 pm
- City Hall in Baltimore, MD – 4 pm
Friday, May 5 - Baltimore to Plymouth Meeting, PA - 107 miles
- University of Delaware – 1 pm
- Senator David Sokola and Newark Mayor Polly Sierer, to ride the final mile and a half to the Perkins Student Center (325 Academy St, Newark, DE 19716).
Saturday, May 6 - Plymouth Meeting, PA to Morristown, NJ - 111 miles
- Philadelphia City Hall – 9 am
- Trenton City Hall – 1 pm
- Morristown Town Hall 6 pm
Sunday, May 7 - Morristown to Newtown - 111 miles
- Morristown Town Hall Send Off - Local cyclists to join – 8:30 am
- Newtown, CT – Edmund Town Hall (45 Main Street) – 5:30 pm
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sandy-hook-ride-from-washington-to-newtown-ct-starts-on-capitol-steps-thursday-300449067.html
SOURCE Team 26