PLYMOUTH, Wis., Oct. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- According to the Institute of Medicine, the average American consumes 3,400 milligrams of sodium day, about 50 percent more than the daily sodium recommendation set by the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.(1)
Sargento Foods Inc. is helping Americans cut the salt, but not the taste with its recently-released Reduced Sodium natural cheeses, which are a great substitute for traditional natural cheese in both cooking and snacking. With 25 percent less sodium than traditional natural cheeses, Sargento Reduced Sodium varieties are full of flavor and feature the same great taste as Sargento's traditional cheeses. Available in shreds, snacks and slices, Sargento Reduced Sodium natural cheeses are perfect for every occasion, from cooking a delicious meal to enjoying an afternoon snack.
"Reducing sodium intake is a critical topic discussed by government agencies, health professionals and consumers alike," said Chris Groom, director of core marketing meal enhancers, Sargento. "When it comes to finding ways to lower sodium intake, Americans need easy, flavorful solutions. Sargento is continuing its heritage of innovation by being the first and only nation brand with Reduced Sodium natural cheeses in the dairy case."
Depending on the variety, Sargento's Reduced Sodium natural cheeses contain between 90 – 140 milligrams of sodium per serving, helping Americans easily fit within current Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommendations of a daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
To make it easy for Americans to integrate reduced sodium options into their diets, Sargento partnered with culinary expert and registered dietitian, Michelle Dudash, RD to create five simple and delicious recipes that are less than 600 milligrams of sodium per serving.
"As a registered dietitian, I know that taste and convenience are key to helping people make long-term nutritional improvements to their diets," said Dudash. "Sargento Reduced Sodium natural cheeses can help Americans achieve this goal while still enjoying the goodness of great tasting cheese. The cheeses also go great in some of my favorite dishes, like West Coast Croque Monsieur and Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes."
Sargento Reduced Sodium natural cheeses are available in several varieties: Mild Cheddar shredded cheese, Mozzarella shredded cheese, Colby-Jack slices, Provolone slices, Colby-Jack snacks and String cheese snacks. Sargento also is launching two new flavors: Pepper Jack slices and Mild Cheddar snacks, which are available now in stores.
Dudash also offers these tips for reducing sodium intake in the diet:
- Burst of Flavor: While plain steamed vegetables are naturally low in sodium, they can often be plain and lifeless. Liven vegetables up with exciting additions such as a Sargento Reduced Sodium natural cheese, a splash of red wine vinegar or spices.
- Tastebud Tricks: Make food seem saltier than it really is by adding flavor enhancements such as pepper jack cheese or small amounts of rinsed, chopped capers or olives.
- Stop Shaking: Rather than using the salt shaker at the table, season food with salt-free blends of Italian and Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and freshly ground pepper for superb flavor with minimal effort.
- Cook like a Chef: A small splash of lemon juice, balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar adds depth and balance to the taste of a dish with little or no sodium.
- Just a Pinch: High sodium condiments can really add up. When choosing to dip, squirt or spritz, do so lightly to decrease the amount consumed. When available, choose their lighter cousins, such as reduced sodium soy sauce or fresh salsa.
- Read the Label: Surprisingly, foods typically thought of as healthy oftentimes contain more sodium than a food commonly thought to be higher in salt. It all boils down to reading the food label.
To view recipes specially created by Michelle Dudash, RD, using Sargento Reduced Sodium natural cheeses, click here (http://pimsmultimedia.com/Sargento/). Each recipe contains 600 milligrams or less of sodium per serving. For more information on Sargento Reduced Sodium natural cheeses and to locate a store near you carrying the product, visit www.sargento.com.
About Sargento Foods Inc.
Sargento Foods Inc. has demonstrated its passion for cheese and cheese-based meal solutions throughout its history. Founded in 1953 in Plymouth, Sargento is a leading manufacturer, packager and marketer of natural shredded, sliced and snack cheeses, cheese appetizers, ingredients, sauces and other culinary solutions. Sargento is owned and operated by the Gentine family, and has net sales of more than $900 million. For more information, please visit www.sargento.com.
(1) Institute of Medicine of National Academies. Committee on Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake. Food and Nutrition Board. Strategies to Reduce Sodium in the United States (2010).
For More Information:
SOURCE Sargento Foods Inc.