SAN JOSE, Calif., July 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) today announced significant new enhancements to the Scalar i6000 tape library, doubling drive density to provide the most compact LTO storage footprint in the enterprise market, adding unique RESTful web services management capabilities and offering 80 PLUS® certified power supplies for the most efficient power usage available. These enhancements are the latest in a long line of innovations since the library's introduction, resulting in the most feature-rich and technically advanced enterprise tape library available for today's most demanding tiered storage workflows.
[Suggested tweet: Highest LTO density, most comprehensive #RESTful services, 80 PLUS power. Meet the new @QuantumCorp #Scalar i6000. http://qntm.co/1LYNwT0]
Highest LTO Storage Density Available The new Scalar i6000 design doubles the number of full-height LTO drives that fit into a 19-inch rack footprint, for twice the performance or data access within the same footprint. This complements the library's High Density Expansion Modules, resulting in systems with the best overall LTO storage density in the market. In addition, the Scalar i6000's unique modular architecture provides high density without sacrificing performance. Users seeking extreme performance in a small footprint — such as those backing up large databases in a small window — can configure the Scalar i6000 to maximize the number of drives.
Quantum plans to expand Scalar i6000 capacity further in 2016, scaling to more than 15,000 slots, or more than 225PB, in a single system. Customers and partners that invest in the library today will benefit from this increased capacity as their archive data grows.
Comprehensive RESTful Web Services and Most Efficient Energy Usage The addition of RESTful web services enables Scalar i6000 users to automate configuration and administrative tasks, thereby saving time and money. With this enhancement, the Scalar i6000 now offers the most comprehensive suite of web services available for an LTO tape library — anything that can be done from the graphical user interface can now be done via web services. The unique user interface has also been dramatically simplified with a new streamlined layout designed to reduce clicks and display information more efficiently and concisely.
As the only tape library with 80 PLUS certified power supplies, the Scalar i6000 provides the most energy-efficient usage and reinforces tape's position as the lowest cost, lowest power storage technology.
Optimized for Modern Workflows The Scalar i6000 has the most comprehensive feature set available and is optimized for a wide spectrum of use cases and environments:
- Media and Entertainment: Active archives of rich media content demand high capacity and high performance to maximize the monetization of content. With the highest LTO storage density available, the Scalar i6000 (and the StorNext AEL6000) is designed to meet these demands while ensuring system availability and integrity, so archived content is readily accessible as needed. Unique features such as Extended Data Life Management (EDLM) for data availability and Active Vault for value are particularly important in media workflows.
- Video Surveillance: As the number of high-definition cameras and video retention times increase, a tape archive that scales in a minimal footprint with low operational costs while guarding the integrity of stored video content is essential. The Scalar i6000 delivers best-in-class capabilities for all these requirements. For large video archives, the new drive expansion module design can be used in conjunction with the high density storage module to create a high performance, highly available active archive.
- Data Center Archive: As the amount and value of unstructured content in data centers continues to grow, IT organizations are leveraging tiered storage with tape archives to regain budget control while maintaining access to archived data. The Scalar i6000's superior density, management and efficiency provide low capital and operational costs for the archive tier.
- High Performance Computing: For high-duty cycle uses such as archiving parallel file system data, geospatial data and other HPC applications, the new Scalar i6000 modular design and unique approach to dual robotics enables systems to be configured for optimized performance.
Supporting Quotes Brian Pickett, Program Delivery Manager, Hitachi Data Systems "The Scalar i6000 has enabled us to economically implement a smart data archive strategy. With the latest enhancements in storage density, ease of use and energy efficiency, the Scalar i6000 is an even more attractive solution for the influx of data that every company needs to manage."
Kurt Klein, Chief Executive Officer, Computer Media Technologies "The Scalar i6000's capabilities have grown since it was first introduced. Quantum's continued innovations have resulted in the most modern, technically advanced enterprise library available to meet the demanding workflows our customers require today."
Robert Clark, Senior Vice President, Product Operations, Quantum "Quantum is the market leader in open systems tape automation because we understand our customers and where they are headed, and deliver solutions to address their dynamically changing requirements. The Scalar i6000 has the most comprehensive feature set available and is optimized for a broad range of use cases and environments."
- Learn more about Quantum's Scalar i6000 LTO tape libraries: www.quantum.com/products/tapelibraries/scalari6000/index.aspx
- To replay the Evaluator Group webinar "Deliver ROI from Data Storage Growth": www.brighttalk.com/channel/13139/quantum
- Read the Busan Bank Scalar i6000 customer success story: www.quantum.com/customerstories/busanbank/index.aspx
- Read the Expedient customer success story: www.quantum.com/customerstories/expedient/index.aspx
About Quantum Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they have the end-to-end storage foundation to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, Be Certain and Scalar are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's Scalar i6000 libraries, 2) future product features of these libraries, including their future capacity, and 3) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such libraries, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. More detailed information about these risk factors are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 12, 2015. Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Public Relations Contact: Bob Wientzen Quantum Corp. +1 (720) 201-8125 email@example.com
SOURCE Quantum Corp.