HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- With many Americans giving and receiving gift cards this holiday season, the big question now becomes, how and when they will use these gift cards. According to recent research by the National Retail Federation, gift cards remained the most requested holiday item for 2009 (for the third consecutive year). And, while some consumers save their gift cards for a rainy day, many have been kicking off the New Year by redeeming their Sears, Kmart and Lands' End gift cards for items they need now – turning the smartest gift of all into a practical shopping tool.
"When customers use our gift cards to purchase gifts for themselves, it really shows us what is most important to them," said Susan Ehrlich, president, Financial Services, Sears Holdings. "In years past, we saw more of a focus placed on 'splurge' purchases for the home, such as larger flat-panel TVs. However, this year, we're seeing gift card redemptions with more of an emphasis on practical purchases that make family 'nesting' more enjoyable, like video games and consoles."
Also, on the list of 2009 gift card purchases are essential "Do-it-Yourself" tools as well as Kenmore Super Capacity High Efficiency Washers "When we see gift cards being used to purchase a high-efficiency washer, that tells us that our customers are focused on smart, practical investments for their homes now more than ever," added Ehrlich.
Sears makes it very easy to redeem your gift cards. All Sears Holdings' gift cards – which include Sears, Kmart, and Lands' End – are easy and convenient to use since they can be cross-redeemed at any one of these retail outlets as well as online. Although Sears, Kmart and Lands' End gift cards have no fees and they never expire, below are a few of the reasons redeeming them now is a better idea than ever:
- Bargain Shopping: Find fantastic values in Tools, Apparel, Home Electronics and Home Appliances through Saturday, Jan. 30.
- Keeping Yourself Entertained: Use Sears, Kmart or Lands' End gift card for online purchases at Sears.com including more than one million book, DVD, and CD entertainment choices available.
- Treating Yourself: Get that one present for yourself that you were really hoping for, but didn't get for the holidays.
- Keeping Your Fitness Resolutions: It's a great way to start a healthy 2010 off right with great deals on fitness equipment.
- Snow Days: Use your gift card toward the purchase of a snow thrower and say goodbye to shoveling snow for good.
- Financial Flexibility: Use your gift card toward the purchase of any Home Appliance of more than $399 and get no interest for six months when you use your Sears credit card.
About Sears Holdings Corporation
Sears Holdings Corporation is the nation's fourth largest broadline retailer with approximately 3,900 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, home electronics and automotive repair and maintenance. Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, and a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands' End, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as the Apostrophe and Covington brands. It also has the Country Living collection, which is offered exclusively by Sears and Kmart. We are the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 12 million service calls made annually. Sears Holdings Corporation operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation. For more information, visit Sears Holdings' Web site at www.searsholdings.com.
SOURCE Sears Holdings Corporation