21 Jun, 2018, 08:00 ET
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., June 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- For the 11th year in a row, Sears and Rebuilding Together have teamed to launch the Heroes at Home initiative, which benefits veterans and their families through fundraising and critical home repair nationwide. Sears volunteers from around the country will team up with Rebuilding Together affiliates to complete dozens of projects this year, bringing tangible assistance and aid to veterans, active duty military and their families.
Now through August 4, Sears Shop Your Way members and customers can participate by donating to Heroes at Home at their local Sears stores or online via a link at sears.com/heroesathome. All proceeds will go toward rebuilding efforts across the country through Rebuilding Together.
"Serving in the military is the most selfless and brave act a person can undertake," said Leena Munjal, chief digital officer for Sears. "Year after year, our goal for this program is to spread awareness of the great need for our veterans who have sacrificed to protect the freedom we enjoy, and offer them the heartfelt care through support, supplies and the warmth and safety of a place they can call home."
Last year, in collaboration with Rebuilding Together, the Sears Heroes at Home program raised $2.1 million and more than $23 million since 2007. Sears and Rebuilding Together have improved the lives of tens of thousands of veterans and military families, provided better access to quality community resources, like Veterans of Foreign Wars posts and American Legion posts, and strengthened communities across the country.
By the numbers—10+ years of Sears Heroes at Home Program:
- $23.5 million Funds raised to rebuild veteran, military family homes and centers
- 15,548 Veterans served
- 1,750 Rebuilds completed
- 41,744 Sears associate [Re]Builders
- 333,685 Hours donated
"We're so grateful for the continued support of Sears and the Heroes at Home Program," said Caroline Blakely, president and CEO of Rebuilding Together. "It's estimated that four million veteran households are housing cost burdened and pay more than 30 percent of their income on housing costs. The brave men and women who have served our country deserve to live in dignity in a safe and healthy home. It's our privilege to serve them in their time of need."
More than three dozen projects are scheduled for 2018. Among the highlights:
- Miami – [Re]Builders will provide repairs for a Korean War veteran in the Miami Gardens neighborhood. Purchased in 1978, this veteran's home is the cornerstone of his family. Repairs include replacing kitchen appliances, cabinets and countertops, repairing two bathrooms in the home, replacing the roof, providing accessibility modifications and painting the interior and exterior of the home.
- New York City – Repairs will be made to American Legion Union Port Post 1065. The post is currently operating in a building that was constructed in 1861. The post offers services in youth enrichment and academic support, as well as job training for veterans and a meeting space for the community. [Re]Builders will replace the floor, paint and landscape the outdoor gathering space, including the construction of raised garden beds and picnic tables.
- Anne Arundel County, Md. – Still Meadows is a community of 260 condominium units built in the late 1970s with a dense veteran population. Repairs to be made include constructing a large neighborhood park with a BBQ pit and benches, mitigating standing water hazards throughout the community and repairing the community pool house.
- Chicago – Investment efforts will continue in the North Lawndale neighborhood for a veteran homeowner and his wife. The work includes repairing the homeowners' porch and stairs, repairing a leak in the basement, painting and landscaping.
Sears also continues to honor military personnel every day, reminding them that they can get 20 percent off regular priced (five percent off sale priced) tools, lawn and garden, fine jewelry and work boots.*
For more information about Heroes at Home, to make a donation or volunteer, visit sears.com/heroesathome and follow #HeroesAtHome on social media.
*In store only. Must be active, reserve, or retired military personnel and present valid military ID. Not combinable with any other coupons, discounts, or during Family and Friends or Member events. Excludes Patio, Grills, Sears Hometown, Outlet, Appliance Showroom and Hardware stores.
About Sears, Roebuck and Co.
Sears, Roebuck and Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD), is a leading integrated retailer providing merchandise and related services and is part of Shop Your Way, a social shopping experience where members have the ability to earn points and receive benefits across a wide variety of physical and digital formats through shopyourway.com. Sears, Roebuck offers its wide range of home merchandise, apparel and automotive products and services through Sears-branded and affiliated full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears, Roebuck also offers a variety of merchandise and services through sears.com, landsend.com and specialty catalogs. Sears, Roebuck offers consumers leading proprietary brands including Craftsman and DieHard -- among the most trusted and preferred brands in the U.S. The company is the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 14 million service and installation calls made annually. For more information, visit the Sears, Roebuck website at www.sears.com or the Sears Holdings Corporation website at www.searsholdings.com.
About Rebuilding Together
Rebuilding Together is a leading national nonprofit organization with a mission to repair the homes of people in need and revitalize our communities. Each year, Rebuilding Together affiliates and nearly 100,000 volunteers complete about 10,000 rebuild projects. Learn more and get involved at rebuildingtogether.org.
SOURCE Sears, Roebuck and Co.
Share this article