SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Millions of Americans will attend Halloween parties with friends this year, and everyone wants their costume to stand out from the rest. A recent survey by Skout, the leading global app that helps you meet new people and expand your social circle, reveals that people wearing funny, pop culture-inspired costumes are viewed as friendlier and more approachable than people wearing scary or sexy costumes.
Skout's survey reveals the top social media memes that are inspiration for this year's Halloween costume:
- Ice bucket challenge. 29% of adults surveyed say this is the best social media-inspired costume of 2014. Whether DIY'd or one of the pre-made ice bucket challenge costumes now available, it's hard to go wrong with this idea.
- Justin Bieber's mugshot. 24% of adults surveyed say donning an orange jumpsuit and coifing their hair to channel Justin Bieber's infamous mug shot is the most clever costume idea.
- Shia LeBeouf's "I Am Not Famous" over-the-head brown bag. 17% of adults say paying tribute to Shia LeBeouf's bizarre brown bag stunt is the way to go this year. Conveniently, the costume is simple to DIY at the last minute.
- Jared Leto's #hotJesus hair. 16% of adults surveyed say this popular social media meme of 2014 would make for the best Halloween costume. Throw on a long middle-parted wig, aviator glasses and strike a pose for the camera.
- Macauley Culkin wearing a t-shirt of Ryan Gosling wearing a t-shirt of Macauley Culkin. 14% of adults surveyed most appreciated the endless t-shirt trend made popular earlier this year and say it would make for a great Halloween costume.
Hollywood provides plenty of Halloween inspiration, too. Men say Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Wars and Breaking Bad characters would make for the best group costumes while women say The Flintstones, Frozen and Mean Girls characters are the best inspiration this year for a group of friends dressing up together.
The Skout survey was conducted online in October 2014. The survey fielded responses from more than 1,300 people who use Skout.
Skout is the largest global platform for meeting new people and expanding your social circle. The Skout community spans more than 180 countries and is available in 14 different languages. Skout is dedicated to providing a platform through which people can easily and safely connect. The Andreessen Horowitz backed company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in San Francisco. Visit www.skout.com to learn more.