71.8% of People Don’t Think Tinder Should Be Blamed For STD Rise, According To STD Dating App Survey

Oct 19, 2015, 12:52 ET from PositiveSingles

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 19, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new survey by PositiveSingles, an anonymous dating app for people living with herpes, HIV, HPV, and other STDs, 71.8% of people do not think popular hookup apps, such as Tinder or Grindr, are the reason for the recent increase in the STD rate nationwide.

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151019/278209

PositiveSingles anonymously surveyed nearly 10,000 of its members and asked if they used hookup dating apps before contracting an STD. The result revealed that only a small portion of people, 33%, said they had experience with hookup apps before contracting an infection. The other 67% said they had never used hookup apps.

The same group of participants was also asked if they thought hookup apps are one of the reasons there has been an increase in the STD rate, with 71.2% responding with a firm, no.

"We are not surprised to learn that most people living with an STD never used hookup apps before they contracted an STD," said PositiveSingles.com brand spokesperson, Jenelle Marie Davis. "Are hookup apps the main reason for the rise in STDs? Definitely not. The use of hookup apps is increasing, but they are not the sole reason for the spike in STD rates. Correlation does not equal causation - there is no conclusive data showing that an increased number of people contracted an STD from people they met on hookup apps."

This isn't the first time that the technology has been blamed for an increase in STDs. In 2013, a New York University study concluded that between 1999 and 2008, the Craigslist hookup scene was to blame for a 16% increase in cases of HIV. Now Tinder and Grindr are in the spotlight. According to a CNN report, the Rhode Island Department of Health issued a statement regarding an increase in sexually transmitted diseases within the state due, in part, to the proliferation of the Tinder and Grindr apps.

However, targeting what is causing the rise in STD infections is not a simple task. People who do not get tested can unknowingly transmit STDs to others. For most of those who know their STD status, disclosure becomes a big challenge. According to a recent sex survey conducted on behalf of www.MedExpress.co.uk, 67% of Brits admitted they would lie to a partner about having an STD, and 8% said they wouldn't bother using a condom at all.

"It's presumptuous to equate the use of hookup apps to an increase in STDs. Many people contract an STD not because they join hookup apps or have multiple partners, but because they do not practice comprehensive safer sex. And even when safer sex is practiced consistently, there is still a risk, some STDs have no symptoms, many go untreated, and that results in unaware individuals infecting others. That is why we view communication and getting tested regularly as important steps for anyone who is sexually active, not only for people using hookup apps," continued Davis. "There are a number of reasons why STD cases are increasing so fast, and all of them must be considered before making broad, unsupported accusations about hookup apps."

About PositiveSingles

PositiveSingles is the largest private Herpes and STD dating community and support site. The PositiveSingles app is now available in the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/app/positivesingles-pro-std-dating/id975465366?mt=8)
and Google Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mason.positivesingles).

For more information, visit www.positivesingles.com

Media Contact:
Sara Gardner
1-888-317-4687 ext. 702

SOURCE PositiveSingles