ORLANDO, Fla., March 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), has added 21 new capabilities to the S-92® medium lift helicopter encompassing navigational, communications and airframe improvements, the company reported during the Heli-Expo industry show.
"These new capabilities are enabling our customers to respond to operational demands in challenging new environments and represent Sikorsky's ongoing commitment to continuous improvement of the S-92 helicopter," said Carey Bond, president of Sikorsky Global Helicopters. "In the past 12 months, operators have begun operations in Greenland, Azerbaijan and Afghanistan among other regions for utility, VIP transport and offshore oil and gas missions."
S-92 aircraft upgrades during the past 12 months include:
- LPV/Dual WAAS receivers — Provides precision approach guidance to runways lacking an ILS capability
- NVG cockpit lighting — Displays are optimized for pilots wearing night vision goggles
- Internal Auxiliary Fuel Certification for SAR Configuration — Provides up to 50 percent increase in range and extended search times for SAR operators
- Passenger comfort — 3 degree additional recline capability in a more heavily padded seat gives passengers wearing survival suits extra lateral support and comfort
- Cargo fitting tie down rings — Fittings attach to the sidewalls and seat tracks for securing cargo
- Left hand side sliding hatch — 36-in. hatch can be used for a gun mount (multi-mission), and is available with a bubble window to provide expanded field of vision for SAR operators
- 100 kt windshield wiper design — Expands operating range from 40 kts to 100 kts
- New Cockpit Voice Recorder/Flight Data Recorder — Meets new FAA requirement for additional power source and longer recording time
The worldwide fleet of 132 S-92 helicopters has accumulated more than 295,000 flight hours since deliveries began in 2004. The first S-92 aircraft to achieve 10,000 flight hours, operated by Bristow Norway AS, is expected to reach that milestone this month.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Connecticut, USA, and Brisbane, Australia, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacturing and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Connecticut, USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
SOURCE Sikorsky Aircraft Corp.