CAMDEN, N.J., Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- There's no better way to take the chill out of winter days than sitting down to a steaming bowl of soup. January is National Soup Month - the perfect time to discover how simple it can be to make sensational homemade soups. Whether entertaining on the weekend or whipping up a weeknight repast, making soup from scratch does not have to require hours in the kitchen. One simple trick is to start with 100% natural Swanson chicken broth, which provides an ideal blend of stock, vegetables, herbs and seasonings, to create the perfect foundation no matter what the soup.
The great thing about soup is that anything goes - think rustic, root vegetables, rich, satisfying chowders or broth-based combinations of vegetables and pasta or even tortillas. Choose lighter soups for appetizers or a quick warm-up post shoveling. Heartier soups can be a main course by themselves. Versatility is the name of the game - so change up the ingredients and enjoy a different soup each day of the month.
Here are some quick tips to help you enjoy soup this month and throughout the year:
- Cook up a family favorite during the weekend and save any leftover soup for school and work lunches or for suppers throughout the week.
- Entertaining? Turn your party into a soup sampler. Ask each guest to bring their favorite soup and serve in cups, ramekins or even shot glasses to encourage people to try all the different varieties.
- Fire up the slow cooker. In the morning, place ingredients into your slow cooker. Let the soup simmer throughout the day and you'll come home to an inviting aroma and a dinner that's ready to enjoy. Add crusty bread or salad to round out the meal.
Chicken & Tortellini Soup is a delicious, easy recipe that combines a savory base of chicken broth with a blend of vegetables, cooked chicken breast and cheese-filled tortellini. It's filling enough to enjoy as a meal or an appetizer. For more great-tasting soup recipes, visit www.SwansonBroth.com and www.CampbellsKitchen.com.
Chicken & Tortellini Soup
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 cup frozen cut green beans
3/4 cup chopped onion
8 cups Swanson Chicken Broth
1 cup dried cheese-filled tortellini
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (OPTIONAL)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it's well browned, stirring often. Remove the chicken.
- Add the remaining oil to the saucepot. Add the carrots, beans and onions. Cook over medium-heat until the vegetable are tender-crisp.
- Stir in the broth. Heat to a boil. Add the tortellini and parsley, if desired. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is tender. Return the chicken to the saucepot and heat through.
CampbellsKitchen.com represents the new on-line presence of the experts in Campbell's Kitchen. For more than 65 years, a dedicated team of chefs, home economists and recipe developers have used their culinary, research and development skills to provide a range of recipe ideas for American families. Today, CampbellsKitchen.com is a comprehensive resource for people looking for inspiring recipes, affordable meals, cooking tips and information.
SOURCE Campbell Soup Company