SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that it is now sampling the 78M6610+PSU/78M6610+LMU single-phase energy-measurement processors. These processors are an energy-measurement subsystem in a single chip. They provide simple utility-grade sensing and diagnostics for existing designs without the traditional cost of a utility meter system-on-chip. Both devices contain unique firmware to meet end application requirements. The 78M6610+PSU is specifically designed for real-time monitoring of data centers, servers, and telecom and data equipment, while the 78M6610+LMU is a more general-purpose solution for applications such as white-good appliances, smart plugs, EV chargers, and solar inverters.
The 78M6610 processors enable energy-measurement functionality while reducing both manufacturing costs and time to market. Energy-measurement solutions traditionally required the use of an additional microcontroller, which adds significant design cost and months of development time. The 78M6610 allow users to conveniently add a complete energy meter to an already existing design without significant cost or redesign. Additionally, the processors' flexible measurement and host interfaces allow for easy integration into any system.
- High performance: utility-grade sensing over the entire dynamic range of load current and power-down modes.
- Reduced bill of materials (BOM) costs: internal RC oscillator and low baud rate serial interface eliminate the need for expensive and fragile crystals.
- Simplicity: firmware is optimized for end applications so design-in is greatly simplified.
- "A more efficient smart grid needs energy measurement at a variety of endpoints beyond the traditional electric meter," said Kris Ardis, Business Director for Smart Grid Products at Maxim Integrated. "The 78M6610+PSU/78M6610+LMU enable these points of measurement with utility-grade accuracy, application-specific firmware, and at a low system cost."
- "The smart grid benefits from embedded technologies like these processors," said Christine Hertzog, Managing Director at Smart Grid Library. "They reduce BOM costs and encourage more widespread deployment of energy-measurement intelligence across the electricity value chain."
Availability and Pricing
- The 78M6610+PSU is available in a 24-pin QFN and 16-pin TSSOP package.
- The 78M6610+LMU is available in a 24-pin QFN package.
- The 78M6610+PSU/78M6610+LMU pricing starts at $1.99 (1000-up, FOB USA).
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.