NEW YORK, Jan. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Societe Generale Corporate & Investment Banking hosted its first Project Bond Conference on Thursday, January 10, in New York City, attracting over 100 investors. The strong attendance by asset managers, insurance companies, supra nationals, development banks and hedge funds demonstrated the current strong interest and promising outlook for the market of bonds backing project finance deals.
In his welcoming remarks, Craig Overlander, CEO of the Americas for Societe Generale, highlighted the significant growth prospects for the project bond market. "The potential for this bond market is very large and fills an important need for both issuers as the cost of capital rises due to the new regulatory landscape and for investors looking for yield and diversification in their portfolios."
Attendees heard from expert panelists including those from Societe Generale's leading project bond team on subjects including current market trends, challenges and prospects for the project bond market in 2013 and beyond. Among the panelists were representatives from project bond issuers Mubadala and Brookfield Asset Management; institutional investors Blackrock and AIG Asset Management; and rating agencies Fitch, S&P and Moody's.
Multiple companies from the most active sectors in issuing project bonds were present to discuss the project bond market with investors in interactive roundtables co-chaired by Societe Generale's project finance specialists.
Erskine Bowles, who co-chaired the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, and is the co-Founder of The Campaign to Fix the Debt, provided the conference's keynote speech during lunch, discussing his views on the principal challenges the U.S. faces in putting its fiscal house in order.
"The purpose of this conference was to have key players in the project bond universe together in one place to hear about and discuss the vast potential for the project bond market to expand given the enormous demand for energy and other infrastructure projects globally," said Duncan Scott, head of Societe Generale's project bond team.
Societe Generale's project bond group draws upon its world class expertise in energy and infrastructure finance as well as ratings advisory and is uniquely positioned in all sectors to provide issuer and investor clients with the leading project bond offering among corporate and investment banks.
Societe Generale is a leader in areas such as oil and gas, LNG, power, renewables, transmission and infrastructure and has led groundbreaking project finance deals in both the bank and bond markets in the last year, including Sabine Pass LNG, Oaxaca wind farms, Ruby Pipeline and Dolphin Energy.
Societe Generale is one of the largest European financial services groups. Based on a diversified universal banking model, the Group combines financial solidity with a strategy of sustainable growth, and aims to be the reference for relationship banking, recognised on its markets, close to clients, chosen for the quality and commitment of its teams.
Its 160,000 employees based in 77 countries accompany more than 33 million clients throughout the world on a daily basis. Societe Generale' teams offer advice and services to individual, corporate and institutional customers in three core businesses:
- Retail banking in France with the Societe Generale branch network, Credit du Nord and Boursorama
- International retail banking, with a presence in Central and Eastern Europe and Russia, in the Mediterranean basin, in Sub-Saharan Africa, in Asia and in the French Overseas Territories
- Corporate and investment banking with a global expertise in investment banking, financing and global markets.
Societe Generale is also a significant player in specialised financing and insurance, private banking, asset management and securities services.
Societe Generale is included in the socially-responsible investment indices: FTSE4Good and ASPI.
For more information, you can follow us on twitter @SocieteGenerale or visit our website www.societegenerale.com.
Societe Generale Corporate & Investment Banking
At the core of Societe Generale's universal banking business model, the Corporate & Investment Bank is a well-diversified and leading player with nearly 12,000 professionals present in 33 countries across Europe, the Americas and Asia-Pacific.
Standing by its clients across sectors, the Corporate & Investment Bank tailors solutions for them by capitalising on its worldwide expertise in investment banking, global finance, and global markets.
- For Corporates, Financial Institutions and public sector: providing a global advisory approach (M&A, debt, equity transaction, capital structure, and asset & liability management), as well as quality capital raising solutions across the debt and equity spectrum, optimised financing and expert risk management responses notably in the realm of foreign exchange and rates derivatives.
- For investors: offering reliable and sound investment opportunities and risk management solutions through its integrated global markets platform delivering seamless access to markets (equity, rates, credit, currencies, commodities and derivatives), as well as advice and solid financial engineering, quality of execution and forward looking research across asset classes.
SOURCE Societe Generale