SAN ANTONIO, May 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Solar Community and the students of The University of the Incarnate Word have taken an unprecedented step into collegiate solar education. With their designs, hard work and dedication, and Solar Community's installation expertise, we have built the fully sustainable "House of CARDS (Cardinals Achieve Renewable Design with Solar)" on the university's campus.
The Engineering department at the university took their plans for a cost-effective, working solar house, submitted them for the 2011 Solar Decathlon, but went one step farther. They decided their initial plans of designing would be taken to actual construction on campus.
"These students have a sustainable future on their minds, and that's exciting for everyone. We're thrilled to help them in anyway we can" says Shelby Ruff, VP of Sales. "The Solar Decathlon in Washington, DC is a fantastic opportunity to find breakthroughs with ambitious and creative college students. We are proud to be a part of something great."
Among other construction techniques used by the UIW students to make this a fully sustainable house, Solar Community installed 25 SunPower 225 watt modules, 10 Sanyo 195 watt Bi-facial solar panels, SMA 2000 Watt High Frequency Central Inverter, 25 Enphase Microinverters, Standing Seam Metal Roof & S-5 Clips to support the Unirac Racking System for a total system size of 7.5 kW. The House of CARDS is easy for the viewing public to find and investigate on the University of the Incarnate Word campus at a small area between the Convocation center and the Natatorium. The House will be seeking a Platinum LEED certification.
Background of the Project
In the spring of 2008, The University of Incarnate word Senior Project team researched the Solar Decathalon and began create a home design, a budget, and a timeline. Following the Decathlon parameters, they designed a home of less than 1000 square feet powered exclusively by photovoltaic cells.
For the contest, ten different areas are evaluated and scored, ranging from the quality of the architectural and engineering design to marketing viability and website development. After the final presentation from this group in May 2008, the spring 2009 Senior Project class decided to develop a real proposal to send in December of 2009 for the 2011 Decathlon. Though the home did not make the cut for the Decathalon, a CCRAA grant allowed us to proceed with construction of the House of CARDS on this campus, with the help of Solar Community.
For more information on the collaboration between Solar Community, The University of The Incarnate Word and the House of CARDS project, please visit http://www.uiw.edu/houseofcards/index.html. For more about Solar Community, including our wide variety of home solar solutions, easy solar financing options, our free QuickQuote, unmatched Solar Rewards program for community referrals, and much more, please contact Shelby Ruff, VP of Sales at 210.692.4319 or Shelby@solarcommunity.com or visit http://www.solarcommunity.com/.
About Solar Community
Solar Community is a leading solar integrator and contractor with national coverage and delivery capabilities. We offer a better, simpler way to buy or lease solar energy systems. Solar Community and its 1500 certified installation partners across North America are dedicated to making solar power easy, convenient and affordable for everyone.
- Complete Solar Solutions: Residential solar services including consultation, design, engineering, procurement, installation and monitoring.
- Easy Lease and Finance Solutions: Monthly solar leasing, pre-paid solar leasing, solar finance options and purchase options.
- Complete Line of Solar Products: Full line of energy saving solutions including solar PV systems, solar hot water systems, solar attic fans, solar lighting and electric vehicle (EV) charging stations.
- Virtual Solar Purchase Program: We can provide you a complete quote and proposal without needing a home visit.
- Community Solar Programs: Solar Community was founded on the principal of offering groups or communities discounted solar solutions through our group mass purchase and lease programs.
- Solar Rewards: Solar Community offers the best Solar Rewards program in the industry. We offer from $500-$1000 in cash or green products to both parties for all referrals.
- We Will be Here as Long As Your System is Producing Power: We are backed and supported by ONTILITY, one of the nation's largest solar trainers, solar distributors, and solar solutions and solar services providers.
SOURCE Solar Community