SACRAMENTO, Calif., Feb. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Senate Bill 1143 calls for the California Community College Board to adopt a plan to promote and improve student success within California community colleges. With the higher education budget facing a $1.4 billion cut, solutions must be affordable.
Today, MyEdu – an established academic platform for college students –announced its availability to California community colleges to improve student success and college completion rates at no cost.
With over 70 percent of California undergraduates enrolled in community colleges and only 24 percent of these students graduating within 6 years(1), California community colleges should look toward their 4-year counterparts for new solutions.
MyEdu is looking to serve California community colleges the same way they have The University of California, Berkeley.
"We partnered with MyEdu to give Berkeley students a free resource to help them succeed in college," said Nanxi Liu, Executive VP of The Associated Students of Berkeley. "With certain classes getting cancelled due to the California education budget cuts, MyEdu is a useful tool for students to help ensure we choose the correct classes and get the required units to graduate on time."
California community colleges can start using MyEdu immediately – and it won't cost colleges or the state of California a penny.
The following applications will be provided to students to ensure academic success:
- Degree Planner: Interactive tool to understand required courses for degree completion
- Credit Manager: Track college courses and see how credits transfer from one institution to the next
- Degree Timeline: Semester-by-semester plan to spread out difficult courses for a balanced course workload
- Course Fit: Analyze course data, reviews and professor grading patterns for the best-fitting class selection
By working with institutions directly, MyEdu has proven to:
- Increase percentage of students that obtain a degree on time by 35 percent
- Improve student GPA – 93 percent of MyEdu users have above a 3.0
"It's important institutions seek the support of services like MyEdu to assist in college completion," said CEO of MyEdu, Michael Crosno. "A college degree is imperative for gainful employment and California community colleges play a critical role in strengthening the state's economy."
MyEdu.com, founded in 2008, is a leading provider of academic information and applications for students, parents and advisors. MyEdu collects official data from universities nationwide and houses the largest warehouse of course, professor, degree and college information. The use of MyEdu's applications has proven to cut college costs up to 20% by reducing the amount of time it takes to earn a degree. To date, MyEdu has helped more than 2 million students graduate from college. http://www.myedu.com
(1) Institute for Higher Education Leadership and Policy at California State University
For more information:
VP of Corporate Marketing 512-469-9777 x 205