SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas, April 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Summer is just around the corner, which means it's time to start planning an unforgettable family vacation. South Padre Island is a wonderful family-friendly beach destination, thanks to the many affordable activities it offers for adventurers of all ages. Its white, sugary beaches and tropical blue waters are a natural draw for families looking for a vacation spot where they can relax and reconnect. Just last year, South Padre Island was named one of the best 10 U.S. beaches for families by Family Vacation Critic. Here are just a few activities that make South Padre Island so appealing to families:
- Watersports for people of all ages and skill levels abound on the island. Families can enjoy kayaking, snorkeling, windsurfing, kiteboarding and stand up paddle boarding thanks to the calm, shallow waters of the Laguna Madre Bay.
- Take a lesson and learn something new. Enjoy a sand castle sculpting lesson from one of the island's master sand castle sculptors. Experience a unique view of marine life with a snorkel or scuba diving lesson. Or, work on your swing with a golf lesson at the South Padre Island Golf Club.
- The Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark offers kid-friendly water playgrounds, interconnecting water rides, a five-story tall sandcastle, thrilling uphill water coasters and a manmade surfing wave.
- The Island Adventure Park offers horseback riding on the beach with daytime, sunset and moonlight rides. The riding center has a large selection of horses specifically trained to accommodate children and first-time riders. In addition, the park's newest attraction is zip-lines – for a unique way to experience the island.
- The island is a habitat for several species of sea turtles, including the endangered Kemp's Ridley species. Visitors can get an up-close look at these creatures at Sea Turtle, Inc., an educational, rehabilitation and rescue facility on the island that is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar expansion.
- Dolphin and marine wildlife tours are another option for viewing the island's abundant and diverse wildlife.
- The South Padre Island Birding & Nature Center offers a 5-story tower with 360-degree views, plus exhibits, boardwalk nature trails and bird blinds. Boardwalk trails include interpretive panels that provide interesting educational insights. With over 360 recorded species, the island is one of the premier birding locations in the Western Hemisphere.
For more information check out www.sopadre.com or call 1-800-SOPADRE.
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND
CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU
7355 Padre Blvd., South Padre Island, TX 78597
(956) 761-3005 * (956) 761-3024 fax
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/south-padre-island-serves-up-summer-fun-for-families-300434273.html
SOURCE South Padre Island Convention and Visitors Bureau