DALLAS, Jan. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) today announced that 24 nonprofit organizations across the United States will be receiving a portion of a $1 million grant program, sponsored by the Texas-based carrier, to strengthen communities throughout the nation. Each of the receiving organizations is tasked with using the funds to support one of the following programs: K-12 STEM Education (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), building a resilient workforce, and leadership development.
"We are looking forward to seeing the impact these wonderful organizations have in communities where Southwest Employees and Customers work and live," said Bob Jordan, Southwest's Executive Vice President of Corporate Services. "These organizations each follow one of our Company's key missions that contribute to developing the workforce of tomorrow by building stronger, more resilient communities."
After a competitive application and review process of more than 300 applications, the airline has selected the following organizations:
- Sci Tech Institute, Phoenix
- St. Louis Science Center, St. Louis, Mo.
- 100 Black Men of Atlanta, Atlanta
- Children First Fund- The Chicago Public Schools Foundation, Chicago
- Greater Milwaukee Committee for Community Development, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas, Dallas
- YMCA of Greater Houston, Houston
- Code Nation, New York, N.Y.
- Sword to Plowshares Veterans Rights Organization, San Francisco
- Career Learning & Employment Center for Vets with Disabilities, Inc., Indianapolis
- Connections to Success, Kansas City, Mo.
- Women's Bean Project, Denver
- Café Momentum, Dallas
- Hallmark University Inc., San Antonio
- YouthForce NOLA, New Orleans
- Marriott Foundation for People with Disabilities, Inc., Atlanta
- Hispanics in Philanthropy, Oakland, Calif.
- The Women's Foundation of California, Oakland, Calif.
- East Oakland Youth Development Center, Oakland, Calif.
- San Diego MANA, San Diego, Calif.
- Ocean Discovery Institute, San Diego, Calif.
- Center for Asian Americans United for Self Empowerment, Burbank, Calif.
- Arnold Air Society - Silver Wings, Tampa, Fla.
- National Association for Latino Community Asset Builders, San Antonio, Texas
The funding for this grant program is enabled by the tax savings that resulted from the reduction in the federal corporate tax rate through the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 and will be awarded from the Southwest Airlines Foundation, a corporate-advised fund of the Silicon Valley Community Foundation. The grant program allows the airline to create and foster more opportunities with nonprofit organizations seeking to expand how they serve and champion success in their communities. Southwest's more than 58,000 Employees are excited to join efforts with these organizations.
Learn more about the grant program and the organizations it'll support by clicking here.
ABOUT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO.
In its 48th year of service, Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) continues to differentiate itself from other air carriers with exemplary Customer Service delivered by more than 58,000 Employees to a Customer base topping 120 million passengers annually. Southwest became the nation's largest domestic air carrier in 2003 and maintains that ranking based on the U.S. Department of Transportation's most recent reporting of domestic originating passengers boarded. In peak travel seasons, Southwest operates more than 4,000 weekday departures among a network of 99 destinations in the United States and 10 additional countries. Southwest has announced its intention to serve Hawaii, subject to requisite governmental approvals.
Southwest coined Transfarency® to describe its purposed philosophy of treating Customers honestly and fairly, and low fares actually staying low. Southwest is the only major U.S. airline to offer bags fly free® to everyone (first and second checked pieces of luggage, size and weight limits apply, some carriers offer free checked bags on select routes or in qualified circumstances), and there are no change fees, though fare differences might apply.
Southwest is one of the most honored airlines in the world, known for a triple bottom line approach that contributes to the carrier's performance and productivity, the importance of its People and the communities they serve, and an overall commitment to efficiency and the planet. Learn more about how the carrier gives back to communities across the world by visiting Southwest.com/citizenship.
Book Southwest Airlines' low fares online at Southwest Airlines or by phone at 800-I-FLY-SWA.
SOURCE Southwest Airlines Co.