SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), today announced the industry's first single-die 4Gb (gigabit) NOR Flash memory product at 65nm. The 4Gb Spansion® GL-S delivers high-quality and fast read performance to enable a better user experience with interactive graphics, animation and video in games and automotive applications.
The newest addition to the flagship Spansion GL-S product line is sampling this month. Based on Spansion's proprietary, highly reliable MirrorBit® charge-trapping technology, the Spansion GL-S delivers the fastest read performance in the industry, up to 45 % faster read than competing NOR Flash products. The Spansion GL-S family is currently offered at 128Mb through 2Gb densities and the company is gaining design win momentum for the product family with consumer, automotive, gaming, telecom and industrial applications.
High-speed, random read performance is critical for applications such as gaming and automotive infotainment applications that require rich multi-dimensional graphics, fast movement and interactivity. Next generation games are bringing the multi-touch experience from smart phones to game interfaces, increasing the need for more software and processing power, which require fast read from Flash memory. In addition, the move to high resolution displays requires higher quality graphics and high density Flash memory.
- The Spansion GL-S and its high performance is ideally suited for handheld consumer games, game cartridges, handheld learning devices, automotive infotainment, industrial entertainment machines such as arcade games, information kiosks.
- The 4Gb will sample in August with production in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- The Spansion GL-S is available at densities from 128Mb to 2Gb.
- 45% faster page-mode read performance than competing NOR products at 98.5 MB/s vs. 67.4 MB/s
- The programming speed of the GL-S is 30% faster over the competition based on third party benchmarks.
- 65nm MirrorBit charge trapping process technology is the foundation for Spansion's leading position in NOR Flash memory.
- 0C to +85C temperature range
- Complementary customized software drivers and Flash file system software
Jim Handy, president, Objective Analysis
"Spansion has executed well delivering differentiated NOR Flash memory products based on its MirrorBit charge-trapping technology," said Jim Handy, president, Objective Analysis. "Graphic-rich applications like gaming are requiring higher-density NOR Flash memory and the Spansion GL-S family's new 4Gb device with fast performance is meeting this growing need."
Avo Kanadjian, vice president of marketing, Spansion
"Consumers have high expectations for speed and quality for their gaming and infotainment applications as manufacturers continue to add more interactivity, multidimensional graphics, multi-touch and animation to these systems. To produce the best, interactive experience, these manufacturers require high-density, faster read Flash memory performance," said Avo Kanadjian, vice president of marketing. "With this 4Gb product, Spansion extends our high density, NOR Flash memory leadership in the embedded market to enable our customers to deliver innovative electronics with the best the user experience."
- Spansion GL-S NOR Flash datasheet
- Spansion GL-S NOR Flash presentation on SlideShare
- Spansion GL-S NOR Flash family photograph
- Spansion NOR Flash memory products
- Spansion newsroom
- Spansion Memory Matters blog
- Spansion on Twitter
- Spansion on Facebook
Spansion (NYSE: CODE) is a leading provider of the Flash memory technology at the heart of the world's electronics systems, powering everything from the routers that run the internet to the highly interactive and immersive consumer and automotive electronics that are enriching people's daily lives. Spansion's broad and differentiated Flash memory product portfolio, award-winning MirrorBit charge-trapping technology, and industry leading service and support are enabling customers to achieve greater efficiency and success in their target markets. For more information, visit http://www.spansion.com.
Spansion(R), the Spansion logo, MirrorBit(R), and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC. in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Spansion Inc.