SUNNYVALE, Calif., Dec. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a global leader in embedded systems solutions, today announced a new family of serial peripheral interface (SPI) flash memory with the industry's highest read performance and smallest package footprint addressing the needs of graphics-rich applications like automotive instrument clusters and industrial human machine interfaces. The Spansion® FL Dual-Quad SPI family provides fast boot times and code execution, and quick graphic performance with 160MB/s read throughput, a 240% improvement over the fastest alternative SPI solutions.
Automotive electronics, home and industrial controls, and high performance consumer applications are using more sophisticated graphical user interfaces to enhance and simplify the interaction between the user and the machine. This trend is resulting in higher-resolution images, animations and even video. To meet these higher demands for read throughput, engineers commonly use two double data rate (DDR) quad-I/O SPI flash memory devices in parallel to achieve maximum read throughput, leading to an increase in board space and more complex designs. Spansion FL Dual-Quad SPI flash memory simplifies the design with a single device, achieving the same performance using a single space-saving, secure BGA package.
"Spansion continues to innovate with the fastest DDR SPI solutions in the market, and the new Spansion FL Dual-Quad SPI family gives designers the performance levels they need in a single package," said Robin Jigour, senior vice president and general manager, Flash Memory Business Group at Spansion. "The family features a new universal footprint with a common pinout that paves the way to even higher performance devices in the future."
The Spansion FL Dual-Quad family is a 3.0V multi-I/O (single, dual, quad and dual-quad-I/O) DDR serial flash memory available in 256 Mb and 512 Mb densities and packaged in an industry standard 8mm x 6mm 24-ball BGA . The universal foot print supports current Quad SPI, Dual-Quad SPI as well as next generation higher-speed Flash memories. Both industrial and automotive in-cabin temperature ranges are offered. The family will sample in Q1 2014 with production in Q2 2014.
Spansion FL Dual-Quad Serial Flash Family Key Facts:
- Initial products: 256 Mb (S70FL256S) and 512 Mb (S70FL512S)
- Industry standard BGA (8mm x 6mm) package
- Industry leading 80MHz DDR read speed (160MB/sec read throughput) up to 240% faster than other SPI devices
- SPI interfaces: Single, Dual, Quad, and Dual-Quad I/O
- 3MB/sec program speed (240% faster than other SPI devices)
- Fastest erase times of up to 1.0MB/sec (200% faster than other SPI devices)
- Industrial and automotive in-cabin temperature ranges
- Enhanced write protection with individual sector protect and OTP
- Customized software drivers and flash file system software
- Spansion FL Dual-Quad Serial Flash fact sheet: http://www.spansion.com/marketingdownloads/Spansion-FL-Dual-Quad-SPI-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Spansion newsroom: http://news.spansion.com
- Spansion blog: http://blog.spansion.com
- Spansion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/spansion
- Spansion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/spansion
- Spansion on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/spansion
Spansion (NYSE: CODE) is a global leader in embedded systems solutions. Spansion's Flash memory, microcontrollers, analog and mixed-signal products drive the development of faster, intelligent, secure and energy efficient electronics. Spansion is at the heart of electronics systems, connecting, controlling, storing and powering everything from automotive electronics and industrial systems to the highly interactive and immersive consumer devices that are enriching people's daily lives. For more information, visit http://www.spansion.com
Spansion®, the Spansion logo, MirrorBit®, and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Spansion Inc.