SAN FRANCISCO, March 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Splunk, the leading provider of operational intelligence software, today announced the general availability of Splunk 4.2, its software that collects, indexes and harnesses any machine data generated by an organization's IT systems and infrastructure - physical, virtual and in the cloud.
Splunk 4.2 builds on the innovation of previous releases, adding real-time alerting, a new Universal Forwarder, improved usability and performance, and centralized management capabilities for distributed Splunk deployments.
"This new release has a strong emphasis on supporting organizations that have deployed Splunk around the globe," said Erik Swan, Splunk CTO and co-founder. "In Splunk 4.2 we made it easier to deploy Splunk to tens of thousands of machines, with simpler data collection and real-time alerting across a global infrastructure."
Machine data holds a wealth of information that can be used to obtain operational intelligence and provide valuable insights for IT and the business. Splunk is the engine for machine data that helps enterprises improve service levels, reduce operations costs, mitigate security risks, enable compliance and create new product and service offerings.
"Our CIO is driving a real-time initiative across the organization so business users can have greater insights into operations," said Michael Vierling, associate director, engineering, AT&T Interactive. "Splunk's ability to correlate and alert in real-time on events, and rapidly build dashboards gives us real-time visibility into our infrastructure and the ability to deliver quickly on our CIO's decree."
Splunk 4.2 new features include:
- Real-time alerting. Provides immediate notification and response for events, patterns, incidents and attacks as they occur.
- Universal Forwarder. New dedicated lightweight forwarder delivers secure, distributed, real-time data collection from thousands of endpoints with a significantly reduced footprint.
- Easier and faster. New ways to visualize data, quick start guides for new users, integrated workflows for common tasks and up to 10 times faster search experience in large-scale distributed deployments.
- Easier management of Splunk. New centralized deployment monitoring and license management facilitate the management of multiple Splunk instances from a single location.
For more on the Splunk 4.2 release:
- Download a free copy here: http://www.splunk.com/goto/Download_4_2
- Watch the Splunk 4.2 video: http://www.splunk.com/goto/4_2video
- Read about what's new in 4.2: http://www.splunk.com/goto/whatsnew
Splunk is the leading provider of operational intelligence software used to monitor, report and analyze real-time machine data as well as terabytes of historical data—located on-premise or in the cloud. Almost half of the Fortune 100 and more than 2,300 enterprises, service providers and government organizations in 74 countries use Splunk to improve service levels, reduce IT operations costs, mitigate security risks, and drive new levels of operational visibility.