BOSTON, Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Tired of the same-old square condom wrappers that all look alike? The industry's fastest-growing condom manufacturer has teamed up with top-notch designers to put a little pizzazz into your nightstand, with a new array of clever, sexy ONE® condom wrapper designs. The fifth annual Design ONE contest begins this week, with artists from around the world competing for their original designs to appear on stylish, round ONE® condom wrappers.
It's no wonder Playboy's The Smoking Jacket blog recently declared, "ONE® Condoms have our vote for Coolest. Condom. Ever." Since 2004, ONE® has revolutionized the condom industry with its consumer-driven brand, including ONE® packaging created and selected by the public. Since the first Design ONE contest in 2006, millions of condom users around the globe have cast votes on-line to choose ONE® condom wrapper designs.
The 2010 Design ONE contest drew thousands of submissions from artists in 27 countries around the world – including the United States, Canada, Australia, Slovenia, Portugal, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden and Malaysia. After consumers cast more than one million votes to select the top 100 designs, a panel of expert judges chose eight winners to be printed on ONE® condom wrappers in 2011. (See winners list, attached.) The winning designers each will receive $250, and ONE® will donate 5,000 condoms to the health organization of the artist's choice. Original designs from eight runners-up also will appear on ONE® wrappers.
ONE Condoms President Davin Wedel said the original designs and the clever phrases that accompany the images (called "ONE-Liners") are an integral part of the ONE® brand.
"We're always looking for fun and interesting ways to encourage people to think about safer sex," said Wedel. "We love seeing our consumers' great ideas, and they get better every year. For example, the highest-rated wrapper design this year cleverly features an apple with the ONE-Liner 'ONE a Day' – putting a new spin on a traditional expression to promote condom usage."
- For her winning design "Bag ONE," Ana Paula Rodrigues selected the Department of Child and Family Well-Being in Newark, NJ as the recipient of 5,000 free ONE® condoms. Ana, an art director at a publishing house, owns a freelance design firm and is pursuing a master's degree in Graphic Design. Ana's winning design is now on display at the "Design Newark 100" exhibit.
- In the ONE® tradition of bringing people together, the contest even drew some winning entries created by teams of designers. Three co-workers at the Department of Health Promotion at San Diego State University (Nate Bohline, Maggie McMahon and Mia McKee) had been challenging one another to create the best ONE-liner when they discovered the Design ONE contest. The art enthusiasts' winning entry, "ONE Smart Cookie," earned them $250 and 5,000 ONE® condoms for the university's student health services office.
The 2011 Design ONE contest features even bigger prizes and more opportunities to win. The contest now includes two divisions: a Professional Division and an Open Division for art students, design enthusiasts and the general public. Visit ONEcondoms.com/design to submit designs and vote on the first group of entries.
Between now and July 31, 2011, consumers will vote on five rounds of design submissions, with prizes awarded to 56 finalists and winning designs. In the Professional Division, a panel of expert judges will select one grand prize winner to receive:
- $1,000 cash
- The winning design produced on ONE® condom wrappers
- Artist's profile featured on ONEcondoms.com
- Year's supply of ONE® condoms
- 5,000 condoms donated to a health organization in the winner's name
This year's panel of professional judges includes: Sara Forbes, Curator of the Museum of Sex in New York; Nick Luckett, Art Director at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, a leading agency known for design and art direction; and Ed Russell, former advertising executive, now Associate Professor at the Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University.
For more information, visit http://onecondoms.com/.
ONE® is the industry's fastest-growing condom manufacturer. As a recognized leader in condom marketing and manufacturing, ONE®'s mission is to make condom use more socially accepted and widely practiced. A portion of all ONE® sales support HIV education and prevention in North America and Africa. ONE® condoms come in seven styles and feature wrappers with over 200 vibrant designs, many created by the public. ONE® condoms are triple-tested for safety and reliability. The privately-held company is headquartered in Boston, MA. Visit us on the web at http://onecondoms.com.
SOURCE ONE(R) Condoms