LONDON, Dec. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
Strategic Analysis of European Rail eTicketing MarketEffective eTicketing Platform Provide End to End Mobility Chains in CitiesUnited Kingdom France Germany Italy Spain Key Findings United Kingdom Europe
2. eTicketing plays a key role in mobility integration by providing access to multi-modal and multi-operator tickets that can be used for travel on any element of a public transport network.
3. Transport operators can see financial and operational benefits of adopting near-field communication (NFC) by eliminating equipment, ending issuance of paper and plastic cards, and reducing cash handling.
4. eTicketing assists transport authorities by providing detailed information on a customer's mobility behavior and opens up potential in customer relationship management.
5. Read speed of NFC technology in eTicketing is considered an issue; however, it is expected to improve in the near future.
eTicketing TechnologiesEurope Until 1990: Traditional Ticketing System
Tokens or paper ticketsMagnetic ticketing
From 1990 to Present: Current Ticketing System
Monthly pass/single ride eTicket on smart card
eTicket on mobile phone via short messenger service (SMS) or mobile barcodes
Since 2010: Next Generation Ticketing System
eTicket on mobile NFC chip
Benefits of NFC to Industry Participants and Passengers
• Reduces initial investments• Uses proven technology• Enables rail operator to deliver additional promotional material
• Generates a significant amount of additional GSM/ UMTS transactions
• Improves convenience with consistent processes across sales channels• Requires no additional device/smartcard in purse• Provides detailed tariff knowledge
eTicketing To Reduce Traffic Congestion
Because traffic congestion on European roads costs the European Union more than X billion euros every year, rail transport can be considered to provide a significant advantage at a time of increasing congestion.
"Tackling congestion and pollution in urban environment will drive local governments to invest in public transport and means to optimize the current infrastructure such as a smooth integration of transportation modes." – Infrastrucure original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
eTicketing's Contribution to Reduce Congestion
• Rail eTicket solutions and transportation systems networked along the entire mobility chain will help to transfer traffic away from roads with the use of a smart card that makes it easier to switch between different modes of transportation.• eTicketing solutions allow users to pay for the distance travelled, regardless of whether they take a train, hire a bicycle, or use any other services such as car parking facilities.
Key Questions this Study Will Answer
• What is the business environment of the European rail eTicketing market? What are its dynamics and its effect on rail operators, passengers, and mobility integration?• What are the technology requirements for mobility integration? What are the prospects and benefits of integrating mobility with the help of eTicketing?• How do different eTicketing systems works in the rail environment? What technologies can be expected in these eTicketing systems?• How does an open payment system work? What are the benefits of using an open payment system in eTicketing?• What is the market penetration of available eTicketing technologies?
Table of Contents
2. Research Scope, Objectives, Background, and Methodology
3. Definitions and Segmentation
4. Introduction to Types of eTicketing Systems
5. Mega Trends and Industry Convergence Implications
6. Drivers and Restraints—Rail eTicketing Market
7. eTicketing for Improved Mobility
8. eTicketing Segment Breakdown
9. Country Breakdown
10. Case Study—eTicketing in Netherlands, United Kingdom, and Germany
11. Competitive Environment
12. Key Conclusions
Read the full report:Strategic Analysis of European Rail eTicketing Market http://www.reportbuyer.com/transport_travel/railway/strategic_analysis_european_rail_eticketing_market.html#utm_source=prnewswire&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=Railway_Passenger_Transport
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48