WASHINGTON, Jan. 26 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As President Obama makes his first State of the Union address, he speaks to Americans nationwide who have identified strengthening the economy and creating jobs as their top priorities for the President and Congress, according to a January 25, 2010, survey by the Pew Research Center.
The American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI)*, representing America's domestic steel industry, issued the following policy priorities for immediately creating the good jobs Americans need while strengthening the economy:
Key Strategy: Put in place a pro-manufacturing strategy that will improve the competitiveness of our nation's manufacturers.
Primary aspects of such a strategy must include:
- Create good jobs by investing in America's infrastructure. Every one billion dollars of government spending on America's transportation systems generates 35,000 jobs.
- Invest in significant infrastructure projects that will spur an increase in the demand for domestic manufactured products and create long-term employment opportunities.
- Focus on high value-added projects, such as replacement and repair of bridges, renewable energy projects, oil and gas pipelines and a smart energy grid.
- Establish and enforce trade policies that will truly level the international playing field for all manufacturers in the United States, by keeping our trade laws strong, strictly enforcing them and expanding rules-based, reciprocal trade.
- Get tough with China's protectionist, mercantilist policies (e.g., currency manipulation, government subsidies and restrictions on exports of vital raw materials), which provide artificial advantages to Chinese manufacturers at the expense of U.S. manufacturers.
- Strengthen and enforce Buy American provisions for government procurement, consistent with U.S. international obligations.
Climate and Energy:
- Pursue climate change policies that seek a global solution to greenhouse gas emissions and that maintain the competitiveness of energy-intensive U.S. manufacturers.
- Develop a national energy policy that creates green, affordable and abundant sources of energy, including nuclear and offshore resources.
- Create incentives to ensure that investment in "green jobs and technologies" results in job creation in America.
Check out AISI's Fact Sheet for more information
*AISI member companies produce over 75% steel made in America.
SOURCE American Iron and Steel Institute