SHERMAN OAKS, Calif., Dec. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Sunkist Growers has announced the beginning of pummelo season with the launch of a new short instructional video about the Vitamin C-packed citrus fruit. The three-minute video features Chef Robert Danhi and provides step-by-step instructions on how to easily peel the fruit's thick, smooth skin which starts out green and turns yellow as the season progresses. It also includes tips like simmering the peel can fill your house with a wonderful jasmine aroma.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click; http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/sunkist/47701/
Available October through April, pummelos are also referred to as a "Shaddock" or "Chinese grapefruit", and are botanically known as "Citrus Grandis", the largest of all citrus. Big on flavor and nutrition, one-fourth of a pummelo has just 60 calories and provides 120% of the Vitamin C recommended for the day. Pummelos are also sodium, fat and cholesterol free and a source of potassium and fiber.
Believed to bring prosperity and good fortune, pummelos are especially popular during Lunar New Year, February 3, 2011, and have been a treasured food in Asia and other regions for many years. Generally round-to-pear in shape, the delectable citrus fruit is said to be the ancestor of the grapefruit but with a sweeter and less acidic taste and a delicate flesh that ranges from white to deep pink in color.
The Sunkist shrimp cocktail recipe below features pummelo combined with shallots and sage for a refreshing flavor combination that commands attention. Find more recipes from Sunkist featuring pummelo and other varieties at www.sunkist.com/recipes.
About Sunkist Growers, Inc.
Sunkist Growers is one of agriculture's greatest success stories. Founded more than a century ago, this cooperative is America's oldest and largest citrus marketing company and is owned by thousands of citrus growers in California and Arizona. The cooperative has developed the most diversified citrus marketing and processing operation anywhere and has created an international market for fresh citrus and citrus products. Sunkist is a registered trademark of (C)2010 Sunkist Growers, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Visit www.sunkist.com for more information.
Sunkist® Fresh Pummelo Shrimp Cocktail
- 20 Sunkist® fresh pummelo segments*
- 1 cup Sunkist® freshly squeezed pummelo juice
- 20 jumbo boiled shrimp
- 1 Tbsp. shallots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves, chopped
- *If pummelo segments are very large, use only 10 segments and cut in half to make 20 pieces. (Sunkist fresh grapefruit may be substituted if pummelos are not in season)
Instructions: (Makes 4 servings)
- Combine Sunkist pummelo segments, Sunkist pummelo juice, boiled shrimp, shallots and chopped sage in a zip top plastic bag, making sure marinade ingredients are distributed evenly. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 - 2 hours.
- Place shredded lettuce in bottom of a shrimp cocktail or margarita glass. Remove 5 shrimp and 5 pummelo segments from marinade, drain.
- Place shrimp and pummelo segments around edge of glass, alternating the shrimp and pummelo. Ready to serve.
SOURCE Sunkist Growers