SAN JOSE, Calif., April 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Last year was a revolutionary one for solar in the U.S. with more than 7 gigawatts installed, helping to bring the total number of solar-powered homes to 960,000 according to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA). In 2016, the industry is expected to see that number double with 16 gigawatts of electricity coming from the sun. This year, solar is expected to install more new capacity than any other electricity source on the planet. In celebration of Earth Day and to support the continued adoption of clean, renewable solar energy, SunPower will debut its new traveling Solar Design Studio this month at community events across the Golden State. It will make additional stops in California over the next several months, and SunPower will offset all carbon emissions from the tour by supporting sustainable projects through TerraPass.
The Solar Design Studio offers a hands-on experience to show homeowners how SunPower's high efficiency solar can deliver real value, helping them save on electricity costs and reduce their carbon footprints. Solar panels from SunPower can offer 70 percent more energy compared to conventional solar solutions in the same amount of space over 25 years, while having a cleaner and more elegant appearance on rooftops. The Studio's first stop will be at the Ventura Earth Day Eco Fest from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, April 23 along the city's oceanfront boardwalk between Promenade Park and Surfer's Point.
"Our Solar Design Studio offers homeowners an innovative and engaging way to explore how record-setting, proven solar power solutions from SunPower can help save on electricity costs while lowering carbon footprints on Earth Day, and every day," said Martin DeBono, SunPower senior vice president, residential solar. "More than 500,000 residential customers have chosen SunPower's high-efficiency solar for their home, sharing in the company's commitment to changing the way our world is powered."
Solar Design Studio visitors will have an opportunity to:
- View a SunPower solar panel at eye level, designed using the same technology that has enabled clean energy pioneers to take solar higher, farther, and faster – like the team flying the record-breaking Solar Impulse 2 plane around the world using SunPower solar cells;
- Learn about SunPower's innovative home solar technology through 3-D exhibits and demonstrations that prove the durability and superiority of SunPower solar compared to conventional technologies;
- Get questions answered by SunPower solar experts;
- Enter the Napa Valley Getaway sweepstakes* for a chance to win a $2,000 gift card for a stay at Bardessono Hotel in Napa, one of only three U.S. hotels to be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified and a $500 gift card for travel expenses;
- Receive eco-friendly giveaways (while supplies last).
As one of the world's most sustainable energy companies, SunPower offers its customers the industry's only direct current solar panels that are Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Silver. SunPower panels are manufactured as sustainably as the clean energy they produce in the company's LEED certified plant in the Philippines and landfill-free facilities in France and Mexico.
Learn more about the highest quality home solar available by exploring SunPower's latest consumer awareness campaign, "Demand Better Solar™," or visit the Solar Design Studio at an upcoming event, listed below:
- Ventura Earth Day Eco Fest, April 23
- Manhattan Beach Earth Day Celebration and Concert, April 30
- Encino Spring Carnival, May 13-15
- The Orange County Spring Home and Garden Show, May 20-22
- Los Angeles Dwell on Design, June 24-26
As one of the world's most innovative and sustainable energy companies, SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ: SPWR) provides a diverse group of customers with complete solar solutions and services. Residential customers, businesses, governments, schools and utilities around the globe rely on SunPower's more than 30 years of proven experience. From the first flip of the switch, SunPower delivers maximum value and superb performance throughout the long life of every solar system. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, SunPower has dedicated, customer-focused employees in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and North and South America. For more information about how SunPower is changing the way our world is powered, visit www.sunpower.com.
* NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Legal residents of the 50 United States (D.C.) 18 years or older. Ends 06/30/2016. To enter and for Official Rules, including odds and prize descriptions, click here. Void where prohibited.
©2016 SunPower Corporation. All Rights Reserved. SUNPOWER, the SUNPOWER logo, and DEMAND BETTER SOLAR are trademarks or registered trademarks of SunPower Corporation in the U.S. and other countries as well.
SOURCE SunPower Corp.