ORLANDO, Fla., Feb. 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- DistribuTECH -- Sunverge Energy, a leader in intelligent energy storage and distributed energy resource management, today announced the next generation of its Solar Integration System (SIS), offering customers a cost-effective package of more battery options and a streamlined design with even more system intelligence than the original SIS.
"These changes are based on feedback from utility customers and solar power providers around the globe who requested more battery and hardware solutions to meet the diverse needs of their customers," said Ken Munson, co-founder and CEO of Sunverge Energy. "Our newest Solar Integration System gives utilities and solar providers more options for linking multiple systems into a virtual power plant to shift peak load and provide other benefits to the homeowner and grid."
The new Solar Integration System, available this summer, supports multiple lithium-ion battery chemistries and a wide range of storage capacities. Lighter, more modular and easier to install than its predecessor, the new SIS maintains industry-leading standards for performance, reliability and safety and is suitable both for installation into existing home solar systems and for packaging with new solar panels. All of these features give utilities, retailers, solar providers and developers the flexibility and choice they need to integrate storage into their customer offers.
All SIS models offer the most extensive array of grid services currently available with energy storage systems:
- Back-up power mode: Automatically isolates from the grid in the event of a loss of grid power then delivers power to the site with no interruption in service or loss in power.
- PV self-consumption mode: Automatically manages home energy to maximize the value of solar installation while maintaining connection to the grid for reliability and consumer savings.
- PV self-consumption with grid levelling mode: A variation of PV self-consumption that maximizes the value of solar installation while simultaneously smoothing imported and exported flows of energy to and from the grid.
- Time-of-use bill optimization mode: Automatically optimizes energy use around a defined time-of-use-rate tariff for the financial benefit of the consumer.
- Grid non-export mode: Modifies system behavior to account for non-export interconnection requirements, balancing home load, required solar and excess solar in real time. The system has the controls in place to automatically turn "off" PV when storage is full and the home is fully powered, a feature which allows consumers in Hawaii to take advantage of tariffs recently enacted by the state public utility commission (PUC).
- Peak shifting mode: Shifts the site or fleet peak load to an earlier or later time to better match the grid side energy capacity and constraints of the distribution network. Reduces peak load at an individual end-user site or across the grid, with additional controls available to shape aggregate loads to meet the specific needs of the grid.
These services maximize the efficient use of renewable or conventional energy and significantly increase the economic value of energy storage.
"SMUD (Sacramento Municipal Utility District) is always seeking ways to deliver the best energy solutions for our customers," said Mark Rawson, storage R&D manager at SMUD. "We had an opportunity to provide input on the initial design and utilized the first Sunverge SIS manufactured. As our utility strives to satisfy our customers' increasing desire for energy savings, tools such as this provide even more options and choices."
About Sunverge Energy
San Francisco-based Sunverge Energy allows homeowners efficient management of their own renewable energy generation and helps utilities, retailers and solar power providers manage those renewable power sources and aggregate them into Virtual Power Plants across neighborhoods, communities and entire service areas — reliably, effectively and intelligently. Founded in 2009, the company makes the Sunverge Solar Integration System (SIS), a distributed energy storage and management appliance comprised of powerful storage batteries, power electronics, and system-management software running in the cloud. The Sunverge SIS lowers costs, increases energy reliability, strengthens the grid, and accelerates the adoption and integration of distributed renewable energy. Investors include Southern Cross Venture Partners, Siemens Venture Capital, SB China Capital (SBCVC) and Total Energy Ventures International. For more information, please visit www.sunverge.com.
SOURCE Sunverge Energy