VENICE, Calif., Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Recently, Spinning®, the creator of the indoor cycling category, conducted a two-tiered survey that polled the Spinning® community to determine top New Year's fitness goals and how people plan to reach those goals. Based on the results of the survey, Spinning® Master Instructor and Team Manager Luciana Marcial-Vincion, has ten tips to keep those New Year's Resolutions and heart rates moving all year long.
The survey, which reached approximately 1,000 community members, asked what New Year's fitness goals were most important; 47 percent of the respondents said that they want to lose weight, 26 percent want to tone, 20 percent want to improve flexibility, and the remaining 7 percent are split between building stamina and specific time achievements.
Additionally, when the audience was asked how they were going to meet these goals, joining a gym and tracking diet and exercise were tied at 27 percent each, 18 percent plan on hiring a personal trainer, 12 percent plan to utilize a fitness app, and the remaining 16 percent plan to sign-up for a series of classes or increase exercise at home.
According to a recent article by Forbes, "Just Eight Percent of People Achieve Their New Years Resolutions," which means that of the 1,000 Spinning® community members polled, only 80 will actually meet their goals. To help meet health and fitness resolutions, Spinning Master Instructor Team Manager Luciana Marcial-Vincion, suggests the following ten tips:
- Don't Sweat Your New Year's Resolutions: Focusing solely on calorie burn for your workouts is too small – think big! Reach for your dreams, increase energy, build fortitude as caloric expenditure is a default side effect of any exercise you do. It's going to happen no matter what, so fill your mind with majestic adventures and the body will follow.
- Showing up is Half the Battle: Goethe tells us that the moment you commit, providence moves in your favor. Once you're out the door, the rest falls into place. Just go, be on time, and you can already start praising yourself.
- Liquid Heaven: H20 is nature's miracle for health and performance. Ditch the soda and limit juices. Make drinking water a habit so it's less about a response to thirst and more about proactively cleaning the engine.
- Fuel: The earth is flat. Eat 3 meals a day. Yup – both ideas came from the same book. Eating smaller, healthier meals throughout the day keeps you from binging and helps increase your metabolism; it will also make for a better workout.
- We All Fall Off The Bike: Whether it's holiday or vacation related, we all falter. But remember, the failure is not in the falling down, it's in the staying down. Get up. Begin again, as many times as it takes.
- Try Something New: They say to do one thing a day that scares you. Think outside the box with a beginner's mind. Be judgment free and willing to get uncomfortable. Remember, it's got to challenge you to change you.
- Focus On The Present: The experience you are having right now is directly linked to your personal evolution. Flow with what's happening and don't compare yourself to anyone else, your body is unique!
- Make it Your Ride: At least twice a week, it is important to partake in aerobic exercise. Spinning® is a great way to get your body and heart moving and you are ultimately the captain of your own ship – make adjustments that suit your fitness level.
- Your Body Was Made To Move: Take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk where you can, and throw down pushups the next time you are in the mall. Seriously. You might be surprised who'll join in. I call it Spontaneous Fitness Flash Mob.
- Be Prepared: Keep a set of workout clothes at the office, in the car, wherever, to help alleviate excuses and conquer a stressful day. Or if you can't make it to the gym keep workout equipment around the house like Bodyblade,® or Resist-A-Ball® and CrossCore®.
Created over 20 years ago, Spinning® is the global leader in indoor cycling training, education and equipment. Uniquely tailored to suit a wide range of abilities and fitness goals, the Spinning program and patented Spinner® bikes manufactured by Star Trac® deliver a personalized workout, incredible calorie burn and personal challenge—all at a self-directed pace. More facilities choose Spinner bikes and Spinning education than any other indoor cycling program. Spinning is a brand of Mad Dogg Athletics™, the world's largest equipment-based education company. For more information on Spinning, please visit www.Spinning.com or call (800) 847-SPIN (7746). Find out more about Mad Dogg Athletics brands, equipment, products and education at www.maddogg.com.