CHICAGO, April 22, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Local breast cancer survivors and activists representing Susan G. Komen - Chicagoland Affiliate traveled to the nation's capital April 16th, joining hundreds of breast cancer activists to remind our nation's leaders of the importance of access to cancer screening programs — and to call on policy makers to ensure parity of insurance coverage between oral chemotherapy and traditional IV treatments.
"As the health care system continues to evolve, we cannot forget that many people continue to rely on vital safety net programs, such as the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program," said Leticia J. Kees, Komen Chicago's Director of Community Programs and Partnerships.
While on Capitol Hill for the day, the Komen Chicago delegation met with staff from the offices of Representative Jan Schakowsky, Representative Mike Quigley, Representative Tammy Duckworth, Senator Richard Durbin and Senator Mark Kirk.
"Many new cancer drugs are out of reach for patients because of outdated insurance rules that class them as specialty drugs under their prescription drug benefits, requiring significant out-of-pocket costs for patients. Conversely, IV treatments fall under the patient's medical benefits since they are administered at the hospital, and involve lower cost-sharing," said Leticia. "Treatment decisions should be made by patients and their doctor based on what is the best medical option, rather than outdated insurance rules."
Komen Chicago will continue to raise awareness and funds to fight breast cancer at the Mother's Day Race for the Cure on Sunday, May 10th in Grant Park. To register or volunteer, visit www.komenchicago.org.
About Susan G. Komen® - Chicago
Susan G. Komen® - Chicago was established in 1997 and holds two Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® events annually in Chicago and Lombard, IL. Komen Chicago has awarded over $16 million towards the fight against breast cancer by funding grassroots breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects, and approximately $4.5 million towards global research. 75% of net proceeds generated by Komen Chicago stay in the Chicagoland Area, while the remaining 25% supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program for research, with many grants at local Chicago institutions. For more information visit www.komenchicago.org.
SOURCE Susan G. Komen - Chicago