LAGUNA BEACH, Calif., May 1, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Inn at Laguna Beach, undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation, is the first hotel in the city to implement 100 percent renewable wood key cards, completely eliminating plastic key cards. The Nordic birch wood, used for the key cards, is harvested from certified sustainably managed forests in Europe which reduces the carbon footprint by lowering CO2 emissions. These PVC-free biodegradable wood key cards also help reduce oil-based plastic waste.
"We are the first and currently the only hotel in Laguna that has purchased this key," said Inn at Laguna Beach General Manager Peggy Trott. "With our hotel overlooking the Pacific coastline and direct access to the beach, we want to do everything we can to offer guests a memorable and environmentally conscious experience."
Sustainability plays a large role in the hotel's renovation, which includes all 70 guest rooms, the lobby, Pacific Room, Pacific Terrace, and the pool and pool deck. The renovation began February 29, 2012; the first two phases will be completed the week of April 22, with the third phase scheduled to be finished the first week of June.
- Guest rooms: The beach chic theme, both functional and reflective of an ocean front hotel, utilizes soothing warm colors, a mixture of bamboo and rattan furniture, and new carpet exuding a residential feel. Low VOC paint was used on the walls. Dual flush toilets and low flow, top-of-the-line, Speakman shower heads were installed in the bathrooms, along with new glass shower doors and 30% recycled material tiles throughout. There is also an in-room recycling program. A reusable aluminum water bottle is offered for guest purchase with an in-room refillable water station.
- Lobby: New furniture and fixtures.
- Pacific Room: This meeting space which accommodates up to 50 guests, has new furniture and carpet.
- Pacific Terrace on the 4th floor: New furniture and a fire pit.
- Pool Area and Deck: New red brick and a re-plastering of the pool with new pool tiles. (to be completed in phase 3)
"The sustainability aspect of the key card as well as the renovation aligns with our overall vision. It is a perfect match with the Inn at Laguna's participation in the international 'Clean the World'* project," Trott said.
About the Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau
The Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau is celebrating 25 years of commitment to Laguna Beach and the tourism industry, and is located at 361 Forest Avenue, Suite 200 with its Visitors Center at 381 Forest Ave. in the Coast Sotheby's International Realty office. The Visitors Center is open daily, Monday - Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Laguna Beach is Southern California's premier coastal destination located midway between Los Angeles and San Diego and along the southern coast of Orange County. Known as home to hundreds of local artists, and set amid 20,000 acres of wilderness, Laguna Beach is primarily served by John Wayne/Orange County Airport located just 20 minutes away. For more information, please visit www.lagunabeachinfo.com.
About Clean the World*
Clean the World recycles hotel guest room hygiene items at its Recycling Operations Center and distributes them for humanitarian purposes with partnering nonprofit organizations. The items are distributed domestically and to children and families in communities around the globe. Laguna Beach became the first City nationwide in 2011 to adopt the program for all of its hotel properties. www.cleantheworld.org.
Contact: Lana Johnson
Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau
SOURCE Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau