SAN JOSE, Calif., March 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Synaptics Inc. (NASDAQ: SYNA), the leading developer of human interface solutions, today announced the expansion of its Natural ID™ family of solutions with mass production of its small area touch sensor for secure fingerprint authentication in smartphones, tablets, and notebook PCs. The Synaptics Natural ID touch fingerprint sensor differs from a traditional swipe sensor in that it simplifies the fingerprint ID user experience with a single touch vs. swiping motion, enabling an even more streamlined secure path to unlock devices and access online services such as retail, banking, and social media portals.
The market for fingerprint authentication continues to grow as consumer electronics OEMs race to differentiate with more intuitive user experiences and as the mobile payment infrastructures gain wider adoption. Recent forecasts from market research firm IHS show the volume of fingerprint sensor-enabled devices increasing from 317 million units at the end of 2014 to 1.4 billion units worldwide by 2020. As a market leader, Synaptics is positioned to support this significant growth with its strong biometrics IP portfolio, proven high-volume manufacturing expertise and best-in-class technology performance.
- High-Performance Fingerprint Imaging: Advanced capacitive imaging technology and sophisticated digital image processing deliver high-quality images for high-performance matching and security.
- LiveFlex™ Technology: Separates the fingerprint sensing element from the fingerprint controller IC, enabling greater flexibility in the size and shape of the fingerprint sensing module.
- Small Size: The minimum touch area measures 4 mm by 10 mm, enabling implementation in small form factor buttons.
- Integration Options: The broad portfolio of products includes encapsulated button modules for smartphone and tablets, as well as fixed designs for PC notebooks. Low-profile and small-footprint packages, along with flexible LiveFlex sensors, allow integration into tight and challenging spaces.
- Online-Transaction Ready: Natural ID sensors are compliant with FIDO, the industry-standard for online transactions. FIDO-compliant websites and web apps seamlessly interact with the fingerprint sensor to replace cumbersome and hard-to-remember passwords.
"As fingerprint sensors proliferate in the market, Synaptics is leading the charge by bringing secure and precise fingerprint sensor technology to the world's top consumer electronics makers," said Ritu Favre, senior vice president and general manager, Biometrics Products Division, Synaptics. "We are proud to continue our track-record of innovation and partnership with OEMs as we reach this new mass production milestone with our Natural ID touch fingerprint sensor."
Synaptics Natural ID touch area fingerprint sensor is available in mass production now.
Synaptics is the pioneer and leader of the human interface revolution, bringing innovative and intuitive user experiences to intelligent devices. Synaptics' broad portfolio of touch, display, and biometrics products is built on the company's rich R&D and supply chain capabilities. With solutions designed for mobile, PC and automotive industries, Synaptics combines ease of use, functionality and aesthetics to enable products that help make our digital lives more productive, secure and enjoyable. (NASDAQ: SYNA) www.synaptics.com.
Synaptics, TouchPad, ClearPad, ClickPad, ForcePad, SecurePad, ThinTouch, Natural ID, TypeGuard and the Synaptics logo are trademarks of Synaptics in the United States and/or other countries. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
For further information, please contact:
Ann Minooka, Synaptics Inc.
Starlayne Meza, Text 100 Global Communications
SOURCE Synaptics Inc.