LAS VEGAS, June 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Specialty iced teas are gathering steam in popularity and quality, according to organizers of the North American Tea Championship (www.teachampionship.com), which named 14 first-place winners in various categories in the annual Iced Tea Class evaluation. The event took place May 24 in Montebello, Calif. The Championship is the only independent competition, judged by professional cuppers, to distinguish the highest quality and best tasting teas that are commercially available in the North American marketplace.
Tea experts who judged the North American Tea Championship include: Michael Cardenas, owner, Innovative Dining Group; David De Candia, senior manager and tea master/tea blender, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf; and Patrick Main, quality manager, Peet's Coffee & Tea.
A total of 43 tea companies showcased an assortment of more than 130 premium iced teas – nearly double the entries than 2010. Competitors ranged from small, boutique tea manufacturers to mid-size tea companies and mass manufacturers, and there were winners to represent each.
Wilbur Curtis (www.wilburcurtis.com) a leading manufacturer of tea brewers and accessories, was the host and equipment supplier of the competition. Cirqua Customized Water (www.cirqua.com) provided 300 gallons of water for the Championship.
- Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, Snapple Green Tea (www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com); Ready-to-Drink-Flavored Green Tea
- ITO EN, LTD, TEA'S TEA Low Calorie-Mango Oolong (www.ITOEN.com); Ready-to-Drink-Flavored Oolong Tea
- Milo's Tea Company, Milo's No Calorie Tea Gallon (www.milostea.com); Ready-to-Drink-Sweetened Black Tea
- Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee, Classic Southern Iced Tea Concentrate, Sweetened (www.motherparkers.com); Foodservice-BIB Unflavored / Sweetened Black Tea
- Numi Organic Tea, Earl Grey Pu-erh Tea (www.numitea.com); Ready-to-Drink-Flavored Black Tea
- QTrade Teas & Herbs, Summer Classic, Organic & Fair Trade (www.qtradeteas.com); Foodservice-Unflavored Black Tea
- QTrade Teas & Herbs, Imperial Green, Organic (www.qtradeteas.com); Foodservice-Unflavored Green Tea
- Rare Tea Cellar, Lemon Berry Meritage-Organic (www.rareteacellar.com); Foodservice-Flavored Herbal
- The Republic of Tea, Calorie-Free Sweet Green Tea (www.republicoftea.com); Ready-to-Drink-Sweetened Green Tea
- Revolution Tea, LLC, Revolution Iced, Classic (www.revolutiontea.com); Foodservice-BIB Unflavored / Unsweetened Black Tea
- Rooibee Red Tea, Herbal RRT Watermelon Mint (www.rooibeeredtea.com); Ready-to-Drink-Flavored / Sweetened
- Teas Etc., Meyer Lemon Black (www.teasetc.com); Foodservice-Flavored Black Tea
- Tejava, Tejava (www.tejava.com); Ready-to-Drink-Unflavored Black Tea
- Walters Bay Bogawantalawa Estates, Tropical Green Iced Tea (www.waltersbay.com); Foodservice-Flavored Green Tea
A complete list of first, second and third-place winners, and details on the Championship, is available at www.teachampionship.com.
SOURCE World Tea Expo