ANNAPOLIS, Md., Feb. 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure wireless communication technology, today announced that TCS has been awarded approval by the U.S General Services Administration (GSA) to add O3b Networks satellite products and services to TCS' IT Schedule 70 contract. The GSA IT Schedule 70 is the largest, most widely used acquisition vehicle in the federal government, providing direct access to products, services and solutions to federal, state and local government agencies.
TCS became an O3b Networks channel partner in 2014, providing O3b's high-performance, next-generation satellite products and services to U.S. government and commercial customers.
- TCS has expanded its product and service offerings by making O3b's satellite products and services available to local, state and federal government organizations – such as Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and Department of Commerce for FirstNet – through its GSA IT Schedule 70 contract.
- Services are delivered via the O3b next-generation medium Earth-orbit (MEO) constellation of satellites that provide higher data rates than legacy geosynchronous (GEO) satellites, with throughput up to 1.6 Gbps and fiber-like latency less than 150 milliseconds.
- O3b's MEO constellation enables broadband, fiber-like connectivity in locations where fiber cannot be placed, bringing broadband services to underserved markets.
- Products available include site terminal and gateway equipment to support O3b satellite communication configurations: antennas, modems, routers, and block upconverters.
- O3b's MEO satellite constellation's ultra-low latency enables fiber performance over a satellite network that will support LTE connectivity.
- TCS' ability to provide satellite terminals, field service support, real time 24 x 7 network monitoring and full-time satellite engineering support enables a better end-to-end solution experience for its customers.
- Customers can order products and services through the TCS/GSA catalog located here.
O3b EVP Government Solutions, "D" D'Ambrosio said:
"TCS brings a tremendous level of value to our partnership because of their expertise and history of providing mission-critical products and services to the aerospace, military, public safety, and industrial markets. We're excited to help TCS expand their product offerings to the government sector using O3b's fiber speed, satellite reach solution, providing TCS customers with highly reliable and secure satellite communications globally."
TCS Government Solutions Group President, Mike Bristol said:
"O3b's game-changing satellite technology delivers higher capacity and lower latency at more affordable prices than legacy GEO satellites that typically preclude true high throughput, long haul, transport of data out of austere locations, thereby leaving a large sector of potential customers underserved. Through TCS' GSA contracts, we will now be able to further leverage our partnership with O3b, allowing us to offer a more affordable satellite alternative to our federal, state and local government customers."
TCS' Government Solutions Group has more than 27-years of track record as a proven, trusted provider of communication technology solutions to the government's toughest technical challenges, under conditions that demand the highest level of reliability, availability and security. TCS solutions enable rapid deployment of fixed and transportable communications using wireless, satellite, and terrestrial networks. TCS satellite communications products provide highly reliable connectivity that empowers critical personnel with seamless, highly secure, interoperable communications. Learn more at TCS Deployable Communications.
About O3b Networks Limited
O3b Networks Limited is a global satellite service provider offering a next-generation satellite network for telecommunications operators, Internet service providers, enterprise and government customers in emerging markets. The O3b system combines the global reach of satellite with the speed of a fiberoptic network providing billions of consumers and businesses in nearly 180 countries with lowcost, highspeed, low latency Internet and mobile connectivity. O3b Networks' investors include SES, Google, Liberty Global, HSBC Principal Investments, Northbridge Venture Partners, Allen & Company, Development Bank of Southern Africa, Sofina, Satya Capital and Luxempart. O3b Networks is headquartered in St. Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands.
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS), headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland, is a world leader in secure and highly reliable wireless communications. Our patented solutions, global presence, operational support and engineering talent enable 9-1-1, commercial location-based services and deployable wireless infrastructure; cybersecurity; defense and aerospace components; and applications for mobile location-based services and messaging. Our principal customers are wireless network operators, defense and public safety government agencies, and Fortune 150 enterprises requiring high reliability and security. Learn more at www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2013, and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2014.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.