ANNAPOLIS, Md., Aug. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, today announced that it has received a delivery order from the U.S. Army for equipment and maintenance of Tactical Transportable Troposcatter (3T) Systems. The initial funded value is $5.3 million for the period from August 2014 through February 2016, and the ceiling contract value, including funded and unfunded amounts, is nearly $10 million.
- The U.S. Army Project Manager for the Warfighter Information Network - Tactical (PM WIN-T) Commercial Satellite Terminal Program is managing these procurements under the Global Tactical Advanced Communication Systems and Services (GTACS) contract vehicle. TCS is a prime GTACS contract awardee; GTACS had an estimated ceiling of $10 billion over five years, starting in November 2012.
- The 3T system, classified as AN/TSC-198 (V3), provides high bandwidth, low latency, non-satellite beyond-line-of-sight network transport for existing and future bandwidth intensive C5ISR platforms.
- The 3T system is a combination of the battle-tested SNAP Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) system, commonly found on today's battlefield, and Comtech's troposcatter technology. Comtech's newest IP-capable Troposcatter Terminal, the Modular Transportable Troposcatter System (MTTS), offers significant advances in troposcatter technology with a considerably smaller form factor than legacy systems.
- Troposcatter technology bounces microwave radio transmissions off of the Earth's troposphere. This allows long-distance, beyond line-of-sight communications, even over rocky or hilly terrain that would block other point-to-point communications techniques.
- The 3T system establishes connectivity at data rates greater than typical satellite links without the recurring satellite airtime costs. The increased throughput capacity offers greater speed for bandwidth-intensive applications such as Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) video distribution.
Comtech Systems President Richard Burt said: "Comtech Systems has partnered with TCS as our integrator of choice for deployable troposcatter communications within the DoD community due to their experience and past performance. With our new 50Mbs modem, and its new advanced designs, we are now able to offer customers far more throughput than any previously fielded systems. Additionally, the solution is the only solution that is interoperable with legacy TRC-170 systems."
TCS Government Solutions Group President Michael Bristol said: "TCS, in partnership with Comtech Systems, has created a growing market within the Department of Defense for deployable troposcatter communication. TCS' 3T system provides the DoD with low latency, high bandwidth beyond-line-of-sight communications between multiple air defense systems. Our 3T system is field-proven, having successfully completed multiple Network Integration Evaluations, and currently supports real world missions. We project major interest over the next three years as the DoD looks to replace legacy TRC-170 systems through the GTACS program of record."
TCS' Government Solutions Group has a 27-year track record as a proven, trusted provider of communication technology solutions to the government's toughest technical challenges, under conditions that demand the highest level of reliability, availability and security. TCS satellite communications experience includes standards-compliant design as well as technically advanced production, deployment, installation, operation, service and maintenance. TCS' dedicated Operations and Maintenance division currently supports thousands of systems around the globe, ensuring that products and turnkey solutions are supported and available in their intended environments. Learn more at TCS Professional Services.
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS' cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include without limitation the possibility that the contract options will not be exercised, that the contract will not be fully funded and those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012 and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2014.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.