ANNAPOLIS, Md., June 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, today announced that it has partnered with Direct Technology, a leading provider of 9-1-1 reporting solutions, to expand the functionality of its GEM9-1-1™ product to include the Emergency Call Tracking System (ECaTS). As SMS9-1-1 is deployed nationwide to meet the recent Federal Communications Commission (FCC) SMS9-1-1 Mandate, this partnership will support the growing public safety requirement for robust SMS9-1-1 reporting capabilities.
- The FCC is considering regulatory action that would require carriers to implement technology to allow customers to send text messages to 9-1-1 in areas where public safety answering points (PSAPs) are prepared to receive the texts. In an emergency situation where the caller is hearing impaired, in noise-sensitive situations or when networks are congested with voice calls, SMS9-1-1 allows rapid communication with public safety dispatchers via text.
- With the SMS9-1-1 solution provided by TCS, ECaTS enables 9-1-1 and public safety providers to access real-time statistics and easily create fully customizable reports.
- ECaTS solutions are vendor neutral and fully compatible with existing infrastructure and technologies, providing an uninterrupted, consistent public safety reporting service.
- TCS' GEM9-1-1 is an ideal solution for PSAPs transitioning to Next Generation 9-1-1 and who have added, or intend to add an IP infrastructure, providing an easy-to-deploy, streamlined SMS9-1-1 solution with minimal training.
- TCS Safety and Security Group Vice President of Business Development Kent Hellebust said: "As SMS9-1-1 technology is deployed nationwide, PSAPs will require comprehensive reporting solutions to gather statistics and compile information that will help them with analyzing trends and improving emergency response. It is imperative that intelligent platforms such as ECaTS are available to decision makers to help them implement 9-1-1 organizational accountability and truly comprehend the impact of new technologies across their jurisdictions. TCS' decision to team with Direct Technology, the market leader, will enable us to offer our customers the best technology in PSAP reporting."
- Direct Technology President Fred Michanie said: "It is estimated that about 70 percent of current 9-1-1 calls today are placed from wireless phones, and over the coming years, there will be increasingly more frequent SMS9-1-1 contact with emergency dispatchers. Extending ECaTS reporting to support TCS GEM9-1-1 will provide PSAPs with a reliable and fully customizable solution for universal reporting. We are proud to work with TCS, a long-time pioneer of wireless 9-1-1 solutions and the catalyst of change in the adoption of this technology."
- TCS GEM9-1-1
- TCS Public Safety Solutions
- Press Release: TeleCommunication Systems Announces Support for FCC, Carriers' Commitment to Implement Text to 9-1-1 Technology Nationwide
- Video: TCS CTO Drew Morin discusses Frederick County, Maryland SMS9-1-1 deployment
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS' cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com, follow TCS@TeleComSys on Twitter or like TCS on Facebook.
About Direct Technology
Direct Technology provides ECaTS, a Business Intelligence and analytics platform developed exclusively for the 9-1-1 industry. A number of states, counties and individual PSAPs have adopted ECaTS to provide secure, real-time analytics and Public Safety Intelligence with one simple click. We are proud to be the catalyst of change in the adoption of this technology and continue to pursue the utilization of methodologies and tools that will make 9-1-1 more streamlined, effective, and cohesive. For more information, visit www.ecats911.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include without limitation those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012 and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2013.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.