ANNAPOLIS, Md., Aug. 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in secure and highly reliable wireless communication technology, today announced that The Iowa Clinic, the largest physician-owned, multi-specialty group in Central Iowa, has selected TCS' VirtuMedix® platform to provide secure, HIPAA-compliant telemedicine services to its family medicine patients. Branded as The Iowa eClinic™, the new telemedicine service uses VirtuMedix, so Iowa Clinic providers can remotely serve patients from any device. The addition of this medical group expands TCS' VirtuMedix footprint in the Midwest.
- The Iowa Clinic, P.C., formed in 1994, is the largest physician-owned multi-specialty group in central Iowa with nearly 200 physicians and healthcare providers practicing in 40 specialties, including family medicine.
- In partnership with local medical centers and hospitals, The Iowa Clinic provides leading-edge healthcare for the patients of central Iowa, serving a population area of 1.1 million and averaging 400,000 patient visits each year.
- With the integration of VirtuMedix, The Iowa eClinic service can now provide patients with virtual access to telemedicine services delivered by licensed Iowa Clinic providers.
- VirtuMedix is a cloud-based telemedicine platform that:
- Enables virtual care for patients whose conditions or locations make office/hospital visits, inconvenient, impractical or expensive.
- Allows physicians groups, urgent care centers, hospitals and other caregivers to expand their patient reach, increase efficiency and differentiate themselves through superior, convenient care.
- Ensures highly reliable security of patient data and platform access through the first and only telemedicine solution audited for cybersecurity.
- TCS has added nearly 1,000 providers to its VirtuMedix customer list over the past six months. For more information, visit www.virtumedix.com
The Iowa Clinic CEO, C. Edward Brown, said: "The Iowa Clinic's mission is to provide excellence in healthcare through a patient focused, physician governed multi-specialty clinic. TCS' VirtuMedix platform underpins this commitment by giving our patients added flexibility in how they interact with our physicians. VirtuMedix's security features and intuitive interface, coupled with its ubiquitous cloud-based access, make it an ideal telemedicine platform for our Iowa eClinic service. We believe that whether at home, in the workplace or on the go, our patients will be receptive to virtual medical consultations, and will appreciate the value that we are delivering to them with our new Iowa eClinic service."
TCS Commercial Software Group President Jay Whitehurst said: "The Iowa Clinic joins the increasing number of medical practices which are realizing the value that telemedicine offers to both their business and their patients. It is no surprise that The Iowa Clinic, with its commitment to a multi-faceted approach to patient care, would wish to deploy a telehealth service, providing cost-effective, secure, immediate and quality medical care to the group's patients in a virtual environment. We are honored to be The Iowa Clinic's choice for this telehealth service, and we believe that VirtuMedix will be a catalyst to improving their patients' healthcare overall."
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS), headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland, is a world leader in secure and highly reliable wireless communications. Our patented solutions, global presence, operational support and engineering talent enable 9-1-1, commercial location-based services and deployable wireless infrastructure; cybersecurity; defense and aerospace components; and applications for mobile location-based services and messaging. Our principal customers are wireless network operators, defense and public safety government agencies, and Fortune 150 enterprises requiring high reliability and security. Learn more at www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2014, and Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2015.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.