BOSTON, Aug. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a recent study by Tommee Tippee®, the fastest growing baby bottle brand in North America, moms-to-be and new moms receive a never-ending stream of parenting advice. In the just-released #ParentOn Poll, conducted by ORC International, a survey of 1,000 U.S. moms of children 0-6 found the majority (56%) report feeling "overwhelmed" by all that input. What new moms really want is more practical help.
"A simple online search for 'parenting advice' returns more than 103 million articles – not so simple really," notes Chris Parsons, President of Tommee Tippee North America and father to three children under the age of four. "A hyper-parenting culture has made raising a child much more confusing than it should be. But really, after all is said and done, the best way to raise a child is your way."
You can run, but you can't hide...
Although six in 10 moms (59%) report feeling empowered to trust their own parenting instincts, the unsolicited advice keeps coming. In fact, the #ParentOn Poll reports moms received "ridiculous advice" from a stranger (14%), mother-in-law (14%), their own mom (12%) or other family member (25%). Some of that ridiculous advice?
- "...If I stood on my head every day, I would have a boy!"
- "Don't take the baby out of the house until age 4."
- "...Prepare my nipples for nursing by rubbing them with a steel wool pad!!"
So, what DOES mom need?
- Moms crave shut-eye, with 42% citing "more sleep" as the one thing that would have been most helpful to them as a new parent.
- Weary moms are also hoping to grow an extra set of hands (13%) and magically acquire telepathic powers to better understand their baby's needs (13%).
A parenting generation gap
- More than half of today's moms (54%) say they feel more pressure to be the perfect parent than their own parents did.
- Although they're feeling more pressure, nearly half say they are more prepared than the previous generation (46%) and are having more fun than their parents (48%).
Trust your instincts and #ParentOn
With over 50 years of expertise, Tommee Tippee is best known for its award-winning Closer to Nature® baby bottle design. The company's mission is simple: to make everyday life easier for families everywhere. This philosophy extends beyond product design with the launch of #ParentOn, a multi-platform conversation where parents can share real parenting moments and find judgement-free support – not more advice.
"At Tommee Tippee, we are championing a new norm – a new way of thinking and talking about parenting. Because you can only do what parents have done since the beginning of time: take a deep breath, trust yourself, and Parent On," comments Parsons.
This sentiment is the inspiration for Tommee Tippee's new #ParentOn campaign, a global initiative launching today, which has an ingenious answer to what to do with all that overwhelming advice: http://parent-on.com/#advicewipes.
#ParentOn Poll Methodology
The #ParentOn Poll was conducted by ORC International on behalf of Tommee Tippee. Findings are based on an online survey of 1,000 US mothers of children ages 0-6 during June 2015.
About Tommee Tippee
UK headquartered Mayborn Group is the proud owner of Tommee Tippee, the number one feeding brand in the UK and the fastest growing baby bottle brand in America. Tommee Tippee has earned a reputation for its clever ideas and product quality that meet the needs of parents and promote natural development at every age, stage and feeding need.
SOURCE Tommee Tippee North America