NEW YORK, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ESSENCE's 19th annual gathering of music, culture, community, empowerment and inspiration has a brand new look and a new name. The new 2013 ESSENCE Festival--recently renamed to reflect the event's expanded cultural focus--will take place July 4-7 in New Orleans, LA. This year's Festival promises to bring "the page to the stage" with 4 days of entertainment and information on health, careers, education, civil rights, relationships, style, beauty and more that will get you into the Festival groove!
As the ultimate destination for entertainment, empowerment and culture, the 2013 ESSENCE Festival will host more than 50 of the nation's most influential speakers, innovators, authors and leaders over the course of 4 days. With a spotlight on culture and community, the ESSENCE Empowerment Experience will motivate Festival-goers to transform their lives via healthy living, finding their dream job, discovering their past, helping to save our schools, and renewing their faith.
"The decision to rebrand The ESSENCE Festival was a natural progression for this one-of-a-kind event, which has become a July 4th weekend tradition over the past 19 years," says Michelle Ebanks, ESSENCE Communications President. "The ESSENCE Festival combines music, entertainment, culture, community, empowerment and inspiration to create a completely transformative experience across 4 full days that you won't find anywhere else on the planet. We feature the world's top performers each night across 8 live music and cultural stages and we bring the 'page to the stage' by bringing ESSENCE magazine to life at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center during the day."
The new 2013 ESSENCE Festival cultural and community programs include:
- ESSENCE Festival Family Reunion Day - Free family activities, cool prizes, music and great barbeque to commemorate the 4th of July.
- ESSENCE Career Zone- Find your dream job and advance your career with the best companies in the country.
- ESSENCE Healthy Living Zone - Discussions, activities and expert advice to renew your mind, body and spirit.
The 2013 ESSENCE Festival musical line-up features some of the hottest acts performing at the Louisiana Superdome across 8 live music and cultural stages, including:
- The Mainstage performers include Jill Scott, Maxwell, New Edition, Charlie Wilson, Keyshia Cole, LL Cool J and Brandy.
- The intimate Superlounge stages will also feature crowd pleasers such as: Anthony David, Big Daddy Kane, Bridget Kelly, Blackstreet, F. Stokes, Jody Watley, Kourtney Heart, Les Nubians, Leela James, Mia Borders and Mint Condition.
- Plus, attendees will get lifted during an all-star gospel tribute to musical powerhouses Pastor Donnie McClurkin and Tramaine Hawkins.
- *More acts to be announced soon. To purchase tickets, get more exciting news, talent and program updates go to www.essencefestival.com.
The 2013 ESSENCE Empowerment Experience will present many of today's most highly regarded authors, personalities, innovators and leaders – including Rev. Al Sharpton, Rep. John Lewis and Dr. Steve Perry -- to advance the dialogue around education, health, civil rights and personal empowerment. More speakers to be announced soon.
Sponsors of the 2013 ESSENCE Festival include presenting sponsor Coca-Cola and major sponsor Walmart.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT THE ESSENCE FESTIVAL:
- NEW YORK TIMES (July 10, 2012): "Now in its 18th year and always scheduled around 4th of July weekend, ESSENCE Fest, as it is known, has been an important event in non hip-hop black pop for an entire generation."
- NPR (July 9, 2012): "For the last 18 years, the ESSENCE Music Festival has been the go-to event for African-Americans, especially African-American women...hundreds of thousands show up for R&B and gospel concerts and panels on politics, financial planning and parenting...Nothing Like It. Until next July."
- Time.com (July 5, 2012): "...adding dollars to the city's economy is not the full extent of the ESSENCE Festival's commitment to New Orleans, the city that has hosted all but one of the festivals (the exception took place following Hurricane Katrina). Throughout the weekend, the festival hosts empowerment-themed discussions for attendees, as well as events to both celebrate and help citizens."
ABOUT ESSENCE COMMUNICATIONS INC.:
Essence Communications Inc. (ECI) is the number one media company dedicated to African-American women, with a multi-platform presence in publishing, live events, and online. The company's flagship publication, ESSENCE magazine, is the preeminent lifestyle magazine for African-American women; generating brand extensions such as the Essence Festival, ESSENCE Black Women in Hollywood and Black Women in Music, Window on Our Women and Smart Beauty consumer insights series, the Essence Book Club, Essence.com, and ventures in digital media (mobile, television and VOD). For 42 years, ESSENCE, which has a brand reach of over 8 million, has been the leading source of cutting-edge information and specific solutions relating to every area of African-American women's lives. Additional information about ECI and ESSENCE is available at www.essence.com.
SOURCE Essence Communications Inc.