PRINCETON, N.J., May 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Berlitz (www.berlitz.us), the world's premier provider of language training and cross-cultural services hosted the second of the Cultural Insights Webinar Series, "Inclusive Leadership: Critical for a Competitive Advantage" on May 18th, 2011. A free whitepaper from the webinar is available at www.berlitz.us/prwhitepaper.
This webinar explored global trends in diversity and inclusion and leveraging cultural differences to become more effective global leaders and was led by Malini Janakiraman, MBA, with 25 years experience in Accounting and Human Resources. Ms. Janakiraman is a Diversity & Inclusion and Leadership Development consultant, and Executive Coach with TMC, a Berlitz Company.
Highlights from the webinar, "Inclusive Leadership: Critical for a Competitive Advantage" include:
- Diversity without inclusion does not work; To be successful, organizations and corporate leaders must embrace the differences people represent and demonstrate they are inclusive as well as diverse
- The importance of diversity and inclusiveness are further underscored by key global trends that are affecting the workforce, some of which are:
- Percentage of immigrants and minorities in the workforce
- The proportion of women in decision-making positions in the workforce
- Increasing cross-border/cross-boundary influences and dependencies
- Organizations that practice inclusion as well as diversity are able to experience high levels of collaboration, engagement and retention which provide a competitive advantage
- Developing cultural agility starts with an open attitude, which leads to self-awareness, other awareness, and knowledge and skills to apply this knowledge. Four key skills fundamental to attaining cultural agility are:
- Cultural Due Diligence: adequately assessing the possible effects of culture in relationships
- Style-Switching: using a broad and flexible behavioral repertoire to accomplish one's goals
- Cultural Dialogue: closing cultural gaps and create cultural synergy through conversation
- Cultural Mentoring: advising, teaching and coaching individuals in one's sphere of influence
Upcoming Berlitz Cultural Insights webinars include:
- "Communicating Effectively Across Cultures"
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 at 1 PM EDT
- "From Cultural Conflict to Creative Opportunity"
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 at 1 PM EDT
For more information on the Berlitz Cultural Insights Webinar Series or to speak with someone from Berlitz, please contact Jennifer Vollaro, Integrated Marketing Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (609) 683.9055 ext. 247.