JACKSON, Fla., Oct. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Eligible Settlement Class Members may start filing claims on October 9, 2017. The claims period will run through February 6, 2018.
Under the terms of the Settlement, Eligible Settlement Class Members who own one or more of the "Class Pistols" may be entitled to the settlement benefits below. Visit www.tauruscartersettlement.com for a list of the Class Pistols. The settlement does not include Taurus G2 model pistols.
You are receiving this email because you registered on www.tauruscartersettlement.com to receive updates regarding the class action settlement involving certain pistols manufactured by Taurus. The Settlement has been finally approved and benefits are now available to Settlement Class Members. Eligible Settlement Class Members may start filing claims on October 9, 2017. The claims period will run through February 6, 2018. Claim forms must be filed online at www.tauruscartersettlement.com.
If you do not have access to a computer and cannot file a claim online, you may contact the Settlement Administrator at 1-844-528-0180, or send a written request to the following address to request a paper claim form package:
Taurus Class Action
c/o Heffler Claims Group
PO Box 230
Philadelphia, PA 19107-0230
To submit a claim online, visit the settlement website at www.tauruscartersettlement.com that includes complete details and important information.
Eligible Settlement Class Members have options:
- Cash Payment: From October 9, 2017 - February 6, 2018, you can file a claim for a cash payment. Upon processing your claim and shipping your Class Pistol back to Taurus, you will receive up to $200 depending upon the number of claims submitted. You will not be charged for the cost of shipping your Class Pistol. Your Class Pistol must be shipped pursuant to the instructions available on the Settlement Website.
- Enhanced Warranty: You may send your Class Pistol to the Taurus Companies at no cost to have your Class Pistol inspected by the Taurus Companies to address the alleged safety defects. Your Class Pistol will be repaired or replaced at the expense of the Taurus Companies subject to certain state law requirements described below. There is no time limit to take advantage of this benefit. A separate claim form must be completed for each Class Pistol claimed.
- Safety Training: Special and particularized safety training addressing the proper operation and handling of Class Pistols is available online at www.TaurusCarterSettlement.com, or you can request a printed copy by contacting the Settlement Administrator at 1-844-528-0180 or Chris P. Carter v. Forjas Taurus S.A., c/o Heffler Claims Group, PO Box 230, Philadelphia, PA 19107-0230. Safety Training is an additional benefit available to all Settlement Class Members.
Complete details on the relief available to Settlement Class Members are found on www.tauruscartersettlement.com.
In connection with the Enhanced Warranty, local and state laws may prohibit the shipment of certain Taurus Class Pistols and comparable G2 model pistols based upon magazine capacity and other restrictions.
These restrictions currently include:
- California, Massachusetts and the District of Columbia prohibit the shipment of Taurus Class Pistols and comparable G2 model pistols into their borders.
- Colorado and New Jersey prohibit the transfer of guns with magazines that accept more than fifteen (15) rounds. See Colo. Rev. Stat. § 18-12-301, et seq. and N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C-39-1y.
- Connecticut, Hawaii, and New York prohibit the transfer of guns with magazines that accept more than ten (10) rounds. See Conn. Gen. Stat. § 53-202p(a), et seq., Haw. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 134-8(c), and N.Y. Law § 265.02.
- Maryland prohibits the transfer of guns that are not on the state's roster of approved firearms. See Md. Code Ann. Pub. Safety § 5-405.
- While Illinois has no current restrictions, such transfer is prohibited by the Municipality of Cook County, Illinois, as well as the cities of Chicago, Aurora, and Highland Park. See Chi. Mun. Code § 8-20-2010, et seq., Cook Co. Code of Ord. 1-54-III-4 § 54-210, et seq., Aurora Code of Ord. § 29-49, and Highland Park Code, XIII § 134.010(c), et. set.
Laws and regulations on these issues are constantly changing. Please consult your current local and state laws.
Applying for a cash payment or utilizing the Enhanced Warranty both involve shipping your Class Pistol to Taurus and each state has specific laws and regulations for the shipment of firearms. It is the Settlement Class Member's responsibility to research the requirements for your state. Settlement Class Members can obtain detailed instructions for proper shipping and handling at www.tauruscartersettlement.com, or call 1-844-528-0180.
All Class Members are required to view a packing safety video on the website before shipping a Class Pistol to the Taurus Companies. Your Class Pistol must be shipped pursuant to the instructions available on the Settlement Website and Fedex shipping requirements. The Settlement Administrator will mail these shipping instructions to Settlement Class Members who do not have access to a computer.
DO NOT SHIP Class Pistols without careful review of your state's laws and regulations for shipment of firearms. Class Pistols designated for shipment must be UNLOADED.
Please visit www.tauruscartersettlement.com, or call 1-844-528-0180, if you need more information.
SOURCE Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP