WORCESTER, Mass., Jan. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG), a leading provider of property and casualty insurance, today announced the availability of enhanced ocean cargo protection, backed by specialized underwriting, claims and loss control capabilities.
The launch of The Hanover's new ocean cargo product represents an important step as the company continues to build out its marine capabilities, providing even more tools to help its partner agents grow and win as the company delivers on its promise to be the best partner for winning independent agents.
This new product provides worldwide coverage on goods in transit via vessel, air or land, including coast-wise and inter-coastal shipments. It can be customized to meet virtually any cargo insurance need, including inland transit, warehousing, processing, exhibitions, and sales samples.
"Today we live in a truly global economy, where more and more U.S. businesses are seeking new customers and suppliers beyond our own shores," said Jane Sharfstein, vice president, ocean marine. "Whether these goods are being transported by vessel or air, they need coverage and that is where ocean cargo comes in."
The new product was added to help the company's agent partners protect a growing number of clients with goods in transit that are not covered by standard insurance and can expose companies to major losses. There are millions in goods being shipped throughout the U.S. each year and over one million American businesses report being involved in importing and/or exporting.
The Hanover's new ocean cargo product offers many distinctive coverages to help the company's agent partners provide even more value to their customers, including protection for:
- Concealed Damages--Covers goods after they have arrived, even if the packing shows no signs of damage and the shipments are not opened immediately. Unlike most companies, The Hanover's coverage is open to providing coverage beyond 90 days
- Worldwide Inland Transit-- Automatically included in the form, provides broad ocean cargo coverage for shipments via truck and train, while most ocean cargo products only offer such coverage via specific endorsement
- Goods Insured--Covers all lawful property shipped with the exception of some items, such as money, jewelry or live animals
- Non-Delivery--Pays claims for missing cargo if a shipment doesn't arrive within 30 days of the expected date
- Broken Lots and Size Ranges--Pays these unique claims, critical for garments and many other manufactured goods
- Control of Damaged Goods/Right of First Refusal--Treats damaged goods that are restricted from being salvaged as a total loss, allowing the insured to dispose of them as needed
- Storage Coverage--Provides coverage for items in storage before or after transit
- Mysterious Disappearance--Provides coverage at bailee locations when items go missing
- Duty Clause--Covers duty and taxes levied by countries in addition to the US and Canada
- Wind, flood and Earthquake--Offers coverage in the event of such natural disasters
Because most ocean cargo losses can be minimized or prevented through greater vigilance in packaging, shipping and cargo-carrier selection, The Hanover also offers access to marine loss control specialists, who identify potential loss hazards and recommend tailored solutions to help mitigate losses. And, specialized claims experts ensure that -when there is a loss--customers receive prompt and fair service.
Companies interested in this coverage should contact a Hanover agent, which can be found at www.hanover.com by clicking on "Find an Agent." Agents who want to know more should contact one of The Hanover's local branch offices or visit the Agent section of the company's web site at www.hanover.com.
Visit us at oceancargo.hanover.com
This material is provided for informational purposes only. For detailed coverage information, please refer to The Hanover's policy language.
About The Hanover
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG), based in Worcester, Mass., is the holding company for a group of insurers that includes The Hanover Insurance Company, also based in Worcester; Citizens Insurance Company of America, headquartered in Howell, Mich., and their affiliates. The Hanover offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to individuals, families and businesses through an extensive network of independent agents, and has been meeting its obligations to its agent partners and their customers for more than 150 years. Taken as a group, The Hanover ranks among the top 30 property and casualty insurers in the United States.
CONTACTS: Investor Relations Robert P. Myron firstname.lastname@example.org (508) 855-2200 Oksana Lukasheva E-mail: email@example.com (508) 855-2063 Media Relations Amy Lynn Banek E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (508) 855-4486
SOURCE The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.