NEW YORK, April 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The PIPEs Report, a service of The Deal that covers the private-investment-in-public-equity financing market, has issued a quarterly report showing that while the first quarter of 2016 started off slowly, transaction and dollar volume in the micro-cap dominated space accelerated significantly in the final month of the period. Data is sourced from PrivateRaise, a service of The Deal that tracks PIPEs that raise at least $1 million.
"The quarter started out slowly with about 50 deals each during both January and February, but nearly one hundred offerings in March put the quarter over the $12 billion mark in PIPE investments," said Paul Springer, senior reporter at The Deal. "Market players say they are currently seeing increasing interest in making deals from both investors and issuers for the upcoming months."
Some highlights from the report:
- PIPE transaction volume was very active in March, despite a decrease of 26% during Q1 when compared to the same time last year.
- The total amount of capital raised fell 28% to $12.3 billion when compared to the first quarter of 2015.
- The healthcare sector accounted for 40% of PIPE transactions for the quarter, which stayed flat compared proportion out of the total transactions in Q1 2015. The technology sector was the second most active in Q1 2016, with 14% of the total.
- Sabby Management LLC was the top-ranked investor in the first quarter by number of investments, with six deals. Anson Capital LP ranked second, with five deals. Castle Creek Partners LLC and IntraCostal Capital LLC ranked third, with three deals.
- Roth Capital Partners LLC and H.C. Wainwright & Co. tied as the top-ranked placement agent in the first quarter by number of placements, with nine deals each for the quarter. Raymond James & Associates Inc., Maxim Group LLC and Chardan Capital Markets LLC tied for third, with six deals each.
About The Deal
The Deal is a media and technology company providing over 100,000 users with actionable ideas from its two services - The Deal & BoardEx. Law firms, investment banks, private equity firms and hedge funds use The Deal service to find their next deal and BoardEx to connect the dots between their organizations and clients. The Deal is a business unit of TheStreet, Inc. (NASDAQ: TST) and has offices in New York, London, Washington, D.C., Petaluma, CA and Chennai, India. For more information, visit www.thedeal.com.
CONTACT: Ashley Klepach, 212.321.5048, Ashley Klepach @thestreet.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-pipes-report-sees-small-cap-equity-financing-growth-at-the-end-of-q1-2016-300253112.html
SOURCE TheStreet, Inc.