CLEVELAND, July 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Press Club of Cleveland announced the 2016 winners for its All Ohio Excellence in Journalism Contest. The Plain Dealer Staff earned first place for best daily newspaper in Ohio – more than 75,000 circulation. This distinction was awarded for its daily news coverage including the Tamir Rice shooting, Michael Brelo verdict and for enterprise reporting on topics such as the dangers of lead poisoning to Cleveland's children.
The Akron Beacon Journal took second and The Blade in Toledo won third place.
"It's a tough competition, because Ohio has several of the best newspapers in the country. So, this is a testament to the talent and dedication of the people who produce so much great journalism every day, both at The Plain Dealer and at our sister company, cleveland.com," said George Rodrigue, editor and general manager at The Plain Dealer.
Individual Plain Dealer staff members earned a variety of awards including:
- Patrick O'Donnell – General News, Investigative and Politics/Government Writing
- James McCarty – Feature – Personality Profile
- Janet Cho – Business
- Olivera Perkins – Business
- Tim Warsinskey – Sports
- Brie Zeltner – Medical/Health Writing
- Bill Livingston – Sports
- Mark Spang – Headline Writing
- Richard Perloff – Single Essay
- Susan Glaser – Travel Writing
- Deborah Snook – Travel Writing
- William Neff – Infographics
- Lynn Ischay – Photography
- Steven Litt – Reviews/Criticism
- Ted Crow – Illustration
- Andrea Levy – Illustration
"It was gratifying to see so much of our work recognized, across so many topics and areas," said Rodrigue. "The judges said, 'The PD staff produces solid, interesting journalism that serves its public well.' That level of public service is a source of pride for us."
Contact: Virginia Goulding, Director of Marketing, email@example.com, 216-296-1535
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-plain-dealer-wins-first-place-for-best-daily-newspaper-in-ohio-staff-members-win-individual-awards-in-the-press-club-of-clevelands-ohio-excellence-in-journalism-contest-300296031.html
SOURCE The Plain Dealer