NEW YORK, June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- The results of the first Ultimate Wine Challenge(SM) are in! Held at Astor Center in New York City on June 7-11, a select group of the industry's best judges evaluated nearly 500 wines using the best methods under the most ideal conditions. The best wine in 23 distinct wine categories was awarded the coveted Chairman's Trophy.
The 2010 Ultimate Wine Challenge Chairman's Trophy winners are:
- Champagne: Piper-Heidsieck Rare 1999, $275.00
- Sparkling Wine: Domaine Carneros Cuvee la Pompadour Rose NV, $36.00
- Chardonnay: Carpe Diem Cellars Chardonnay Firepeak Vineyard 2007, $24.00
- Pinot Grigio: Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio 2009, $9.99
- Sauvignon Blanc: Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc Regional Collection 2009, $14.00
- Riesling: Hogue Cellars Genesis Riesling 2008, $15.99
- Viognier: d'Arenberg The Last Ditch 2008, $25.00
- White – International: Peter Lehmann Layers 2009, $15.99
- White – Italian: Fontana Candida Frascati NV, $10.00
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Simi Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, $24.00
- Pinot Noir: Clos du Bois Pinot Noir 2007, $24.00
- Merlot: Shafer Vineyards Merlot 2007, $48.00
- Shiraz: Peter Lehmann Eight Songs Shiraz 2004, $38.00
- Zinfandel: Ravenswood Napa Valley Zinfandel 2007, $18.00
- Red – International: Marques de Caceres Reserva 2004, $25.00
- Best Red – Italian: Sartori Regolo 2005, $21.00
- Red – Assorted US: Pietra Santa Sangiovese 2006, $18.00
- Red Blend: Chateau Julien La Conviviance 2006, $90.00
- Dessert Wine: St. Nicholas Commandaria 2000, $18.99
- Vermouth/Aromatized Wine: Martini & Rossi Rosso, $7.99
- Port: Croft 10 Year Old Tawny NV, $32.00
- Sherry: Gonzalez Byass Apostoles Very Old Rare Sherry Palo Cortado NV, $44.49
- Sake: Shimizu-No-Mai Pure Dusk NV, $42.00
For a complete list of Ultimate Wine Challenge winners and scoring results, go to www.ultimate-beverage.com/UWC2010-results/
Conducted by Ultimate Beverage Challenge(SM), a New York-based beverage alcohol evaluation and events company created by award-winning journalist/author F. Paul Pacult, David Talbot and Sue Woodley, Ultimate Wine Challenge sets a new direction and standard in how wines should be evaluated.
Panels of industry's best judges led by Judging Chairman F. Paul Pacult and Assistant Judging Chairman Sean Ludford: Jennifer Simonetti-Bryan MW, Mary Ewing-Mulligan MW, Laura Maniec MS, Steve Olson, Nick Passmore, Ed McCarthy, David Lusby, James Conley, John McClement, Michael Apstein, Patricia Savoie and Mary Gorman carefully assessed nearly 500 wines representing 15 countries and 43 appellations. The judging panels did not know the identity of the entered still, sparkling dessert, aromatized, fortified wines and sake in order to promote a completely level playing field. Wines were judged on the 100-point rating system in multiple stages to arrive at the top wine per category. All wines were judged in flights according to price, grape type and region.
For downloadable images, go to www.ultimate-beverage.com/mediakit/UWCmediaphotos/
Said Pacult of the first Ultimate Wine Challenge, "With UBC's emphasis on integrity, method and credibility, coupled with the enormous experience of our world-class judges, we've created an innovative, exciting and authentic way for wines to be assessed and then presented to consumers."
Said Sue Woodley, "UBC ensures that all conditions are ideal for thoughtful, deliberate wine evaluation by highly qualified experts. This includes serving the wine in the most appropriate glassware and at the right temperature in the perfect environment of North America's premier facility, Astor Center."
Said David Talbot, "The results from Ultimate Wine Challenge are a marketer's dream come true. Being cited as the best Cabernet Sauvignon or the best Port or Champagne by the most authoritative judging panels in the world is promotional fodder of the highest variety."
This fall, Ultimate Beverage Challenge will host two consumer events in New York City – Ultimate Wine Affair on October 4 and Ultimate Cocktail & Spirits Blast on October 15. For brand participation information and rates, go to www.ultimate-beverage.com/events2010/
ABOUT ULTIMATE BEVERAGE CHALLENGE(SM) (www.ultimate-beverage.com)
Ultimate Beverage Challenge (UBC) provides the industry and consumers with clear and unassailable evaluations of beverage alcohol quality. The inaugural 2010 Challenges took place at Astor Center, NYC and included: Ultimate Spirits Challenge, Ultimate Cocktail Challenge and Ultimate Wine Challenge. UBC sponsors include: Saratoga Spring Water, Dare All Natural Crackers, Arc International Chef & Sommelier Glassware and Fever Tree All Natural Premium Mixers.
Ultimate Beverage Challenge: The future of beverage competitions today.
SOURCE Ultimate Beverage Challenge